Hawk

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Buster121

Trev wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:18 am
Buster121 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:19 am
Trev wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:40 am My birds are still on shutdown at the moment due to the hawk but our Mum (who has a few pigeons just across the field from me) informed me that one of her birds had been hit by the hawk yesterday. Thankfully she was out there and managed to scare the hawk off, the poor little hen is quite badly hurt on her back back Mum sprayed her with the good old purple spray so now it's just a matter of time to see if she recovers or not 🤞🤞
Hope she recovers mate
She is apparently hanging on in there at the moment although her legs are a bit sore.
Fingers crossed that she continues to mate
Trev

I had a look at her today, it is a very nasty injury with big chunks of flesh missing on her back and shoulders. If she does survive I think she will do well to fly again but it is amazing what some birds do get over so she will be given every chance.
Buster121

Trev wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:13 pm I had a look at her today, it is a very nasty injury with big chunks of flesh missing on her back and shoulders. If she does survive I think she will do well to fly again but it is amazing what some birds do get over so she will be given every chance.
Shame mate, as you say they do surprise us and I do hope she recovers
Andy

I have a 3 year old hen here that has twice been hit by a hawk. The second time she was missing from around the loft for a couple of days. When she turned up on a house roof she virtually fell down onto the loft. She was unable to fly for several days. A couple of years on one wing is still dropped. She does fly now and does still go out for exercise. She will never be raced again but I don’t have the heart to get rid of her. I did breed a youngster from her last year that I still have after racing as a youngster. She will be used as a widowhood hen this season.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:50 am I have a 3 year old hen here that has twice been hit by a hawk. The second time she was missing from around the loft for a couple of days. When she turned up on a house roof she virtually fell down onto the loft. She was unable to fly for several days. A couple of years on one wing is still dropped. She does fly now and does still go out for exercise. She will never be raced again but I don’t have the heart to get rid of her. I did breed a youngster from her last year that I still have after racing as a youngster. She will be used as a widowhood hen this season.
Good you kept her mate, you never know she may even reward you with a winner :) :)
Trev

Andy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:50 am I have a 3 year old hen here that has twice been hit by a hawk. The second time she was missing from around the loft for a couple of days. When she turned up on a house roof she virtually fell down onto the loft. She was unable to fly for several days. A couple of years on one wing is still dropped. She does fly now and does still go out for exercise. She will never be raced again but I don’t have the heart to get rid of her. I did breed a youngster from her last year that I still have after racing as a youngster. She will be used as a widowhood hen this season.
Some birds just deserve a perch for life, I hope she makes a good widowhood hen and that the youngster does well for you bruv 🤞