Pigeon lofts

Topics relating to construction or maintenance of your loft, boxes and pigeon equipment
Buster121

Andy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:54 pm I have had corridors before and they are quite good for not disturbing birds when moving through the loft but only of any real benefit if having multi sections in one loft. It was fine when trapping through open door but not so easy when using traps as they still need to go through the corridor. Also I think you’re right Murray. They are much better being able to get to the front of the loft where they can lay in the sun.
My loft is 3 section what I did was make middle section 4 feet instead of 6 which gave me a corridor so I can enter all 3 sections from the middle one as 2 end ones have slide doors as well as doors on front
George and Morgan

could not have a loft with no corridor
George and Morgan

this corridor now has the mower in it
Attachments
P1060356.JPG
Andy

I do have a corridor of sorts in the main loft. The middle section is used for storage and is 2.5 feet x 6 feet. I enter this section through the sliding door and can either go left into what is now the widowhood section or right into the young bird section.
IMG_2770.jpeg
The other loft I do have to go through one section to get to the other.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

I think a corridor is a must these days, and lights to just sit and observe. I spent many nights with the birds, getting to know about each bird.
Murray

Mine know me well enough :lol:
I just scraped out and gave them their breakfast, and I had pigeons all over me scrapping with each other to get on my shoulder. :D
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

Devo1956 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:35 am I think a corridor is a must these days, and lights to just sit and observe. I spent many nights with the birds, getting to know about each bird.
I have got electric in the loft but haven’t fitted any lights as yet. I have had them before but think that unless you have them on a timer where they are on the same time every day it just disturbs the birds when they should be resting. Certainly wouldn’t want to be disturbing the widowhood cocks after dark.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:45 pm
Devo1956 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:35 am I think a corridor is a must these days, and lights to just sit and observe. I spent many nights with the birds, getting to know about each bird.
I have got electric in the loft but haven’t fitted any lights as yet. I have had them before but think that unless you have them on a timer where they are on the same time every day it just disturbs the birds when they should be resting. Certainly wouldn’t want to be disturbing the widowhood cocks after dark.
I have lights in one loft as dark when I go up in a morning to clean etc
Buster121

Before I put electric in I used to use those little camping lights must say they are very good as well if anyone looking for some light
Murray

Andy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:45 pm
My mate David has lights on a timer. They come on at 6.30 in the morning and go off at 6.30 at night. Every day. I think it's supposed to hold the young birds up in the moult. I don't worry about it.with the all age racing here they are more or less yearlings before the racing starts. When I was working I had to go out in the dark to do them in the morning so I turned the lights on, and on a dark afternoon I would have the lights on until dark. Now i can just wait until I can see, but it's still good to have lights.
Greetings from the land down under. :D