Selecting next year’s pairings

Post your topics on breeding or family of pigeons here.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:48 pm The problem being Buster that if left much longer than 14 days the hens will start looking to go down again which is what I certainly don’t want as this will trigger the moult to start.
All well explained and understood mate :D ;) ;)
Trev

Good luck Andy, it will be good to see you back on Widowhood. I know your plan was for marathon but back in the day widowhood was always what you enjoyed most and sadly due to the current climate with racing in the UK plans have to be altered. Although I wouldn't ever try widowhood again as I just couldn't get on with it back in the 90s I do need to try to become more competitive over the shorter races too.
I hope with you breeding that early you don't get problems with Mrs Hawk 🙏🙏🤞 that's the main reason I won't pair up early at the moment and that my birds remain shut in for as long as possible.
Trev

George and Morgan wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:55 am mine will be easy olr bird to olr bird the checker cock paired to my blue hen and that's it
Good luck George, I hope they do well for you mate.
There are plenty of times that I wished I had less birds, I'm afraid my numbers got a bit out of control 😕😳😟
Trev

Devo1956 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:14 am I always paired up on boxing day, it gave me a good platform for my breeding for the coming season. Just used nest felts and deep straw in nest bowls. And straw on the floor to motivate the birds.
Our Dad always used as well Dev, until I started suffering from hawk attacks I used to too. Quite often boxing day can be a nice bright day, so after the hecticness of Christmas day it was lovely to just chill out in the loft. With the sun out the birds would often pair quite readily too.
Trev

I will have 4 to 6 weeks of R&R to look forward after my operation so will be getting all my records in order and to start planning for next season. As I am also hoping to get half a dozen birds from Buster next year at this point I am looking to breed far fewer from my own so am in no hurry, as I said earlier, due to my hawk problems I don't want babies flying out before March at the earliest.
Murray

People select the pairings :o :?
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

Murray wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:12 am People select the pairings :o :?
Yes Murray. I like to select my pairings so that I am breeding from the better ones and not breeding from a poorer pigeon that happens to have paired to my best. Do you just let them choose their own mates?
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Andy

I know a couple of fanciers who have already paired some up. With rings issued on the 1st December now they will have youngsters ready to ring by then. I still don’t think they should be issued until the 10th January as they used too.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Trev

Murray wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:12 am People select the pairings :o :?
😂🤣
I do like to select my breeding pairs but usually leave the rest to pair up how they like.
I have been gifted a pair of Sprint Cock birds from Alan Still who is one of our top fliers, I need to select the right hens to put with these and will probably risk taking a couple of early rounds from them.
Trev

Andy wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:06 am I know a couple of fanciers who have already paired some up. With rings issued on the 1st December now they will have youngsters ready to ring by then. I still don’t think they should be issued until the 10th January as they used too.
I know several of our members will have youngsters ready to ring by the beginning of December too Andy, I agree with you, it makes a bit of a mockery of calling it young bird racing really !!! We may as well adopt the way they do it in Australia and just race any age, one programme.