Its getting cold out there

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Devo1956

So we are coming into the winter season, time to winter up . A check over the loft daily and the birds, checking foe any signs of any of the birds not looking right. Here is a little video to show what we are looking for, and what we can use to help the birds weather through the cold spells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkjYdRYDKBk
Buster121

I just watched that after the other one you put up thanks mate
Devo1956

Buster121 wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:31 pm I just watched that after the other one you put up thanks mate
Yes Buster, just simple things can do the trick.
Trev

Good little video Dev, a little hard to follow due to the subtitles but you get the idea. I did see that there were also Limes as well as lemons which didn't get a mention !!
Again it comes down to dedication as I'm not sure I could be bothered with all that faffing about to prepare it lol πŸ˜‚πŸ˜¬ Do you think using Jiff lemon or something similar would have the same benefits and save time ??
Devo1956

Trev wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:46 pm Good little video Dev, a little hard to follow due to the subtitles but you get the idea. I did see that there were also Limes as well as lemons which didn't get a mention !!
Again it comes down to dedication as I'm not sure I could be bothered with all that faffing about to prepare it lol πŸ˜‚πŸ˜¬ Do you think using Jiff lemon or something similar would have the same benefits and save time ??
To be honest Trev, i would not use Jiff myself, Not a natural product. i would stick with fresh lemons.

Jif is prepared from reconstituted lemon concentrate and water as primary ingredients, and is formulated to be the same strength as natural lemons. The concentrate is reconstituted using water. The product contains the food preservative E223 (sodium metabisulphite).

Sodium Metabisulfite can affect you when breathed in. * Contact can irritate the skin and eyes. * Breathing Sodium Metabisulfite can irritate the nose, throat and lungs causing coughing, wheezing and/or shortness of breath. * Sodium Metabisulfite may cause an asthma-like allergy.
Trev

Devo1956 wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:13 pm
Trev wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:46 pm Good little video Dev, a little hard to follow due to the subtitles but you get the idea. I did see that there were also Limes as well as lemons which didn't get a mention !!
To be honest Trev, i would not use Jiff myself, Not a natural product. i would stick with fresh lemons.

Jif is prepared from reconstituted lemon concentrate and water as primary ingredients, and is formulated to be the same strength as natural lemons. The concentrate is reconstituted using water. The product contains the food preservative E223 (sodium metabisulphite).

Sodium Metabisulfite can affect you when breathed in. * Contact can irritate the skin and eyes. * Breathing Sodium Metabisulfite can irritate the nose, throat and lungs causing coughing, wheezing and/or shortness of breath. * Sodium Metabisulfite may cause an asthma-like allergy.
Thanks for that mate, I might look at giving it a go. I used to use lemon juice on the feed with brewer's yeast and do still use garlic in the water.
Would you use this in preference to Apple cider vinegar ??
Devo1956

Trev wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:25 pm

Thanks for that mate, I might look at giving it a go. I used to use lemon juice on the feed with brewer's yeast and do still use garlic in the water.
I would myslf Trev, because of the vits and great i would say.
Trev

Devo1956 wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:35 pm
Trev wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:25 pm

I would myslf Trev, because of the vits and great i would say.
πŸ‘
Andy

I used bottled lemon juice on the food for mine years ago. Will do again next season with the widowhoods.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.