For a bit of fun.

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Andy

😂🤣😂🤣
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

Murray wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:25 am As you all know, i have little knowledge and less interest in 'eye sign'. I once went out with a girl who had the most amazing, hypnotic blue eyes.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
She was no good either.
Anyway, 2 is a racer, 1 and 3 are racer/. breeders,
4 might have come from somewhere in the south of the US of A, where the banjos play and EVERYONE is your cousin.
That is funny Murray, my brother went too USA, he went to a garage in the middle of nowhere. He lost his way so pulled into garage to get directions. There was a few people in the garage, when they asked where he was from. He told them Liverpool . One of them was a mountain of a guy, and told him to sing beatles songs. He was there for around 30 minutes singing. Until his wife went in the garage to see why he was taking so long. He said he was in another time limit. :P :P :P
Buster121

Murray wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:25 am As you all know, i have little knowledge and less interest in 'eye sign'. I once went out with a girl who had the most amazing, hypnotic blue eyes.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
She was no good either.
4 might have come from somewhere in the south of the US of A, where the banjos play and EVERYONE is your cousin.
Don't think anyone likes number 4 :lol: :lol:
Devo1956

Buster121 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:53 am
She was no good either.
To be honest, i do like the 4 birds eyes. It reminds me of the old Sion family. I had birds from the Hietzman family from Kentucky. Really strong birds that were brave to get home.
https://www.heitzmansions.com/
Devo1956

Before Andy gives His readings on the eyes. my thoughts are as follows.

Number 1 eye, Strong breeders Eye for middle distance.

Number 2 eye Racing eye for middle distance

Number 3 eye Racing eye for sprint middle distance.

Number 4 Strong breeders eye for middle distance to Long distance
Andy

Ok. So I use eyesign mainly for breeding purposes. I personally don’t actually think that the eye can give an indication on the distance that a pigeon can perform at. I think the best way to find this out is the breeding of the pigeon along with the basket. From a breeding point of view though the best are those with good inner circles and room in the iris.
So in my opinion the best eye is No.1 This eye has everything I would like to see in a top breeder. The inner circle is super. Very wide and well serrated around the outer edge of it. This circle looks just like a washer laid around the pupil. The circle of colouration is a dominant violet and is full of waves throughout. The pink reddish iris is mountainous and has the room in it that I look for. A lovely breeding eye.
No.3 would be my second choice. The inner circle again is wide and serrated. This one has the advantage of being of just the one colour. The thing that goes a bit against this one is the fullness of the iris. Although a nice rich red in colour the violet circle of colouration can only be seen in a few parts of the iris. This one would be more difficult to breed from but should still breed well and also race well.
No.2 is another nice eye. The inner circle is quite wide with dark shading particularly visible at the bottom of the eye between 5 & 7 o’clock. This has a nice yellow circle of colouration with plenty of ridges in it. The iris is flatter in this one making this more of a racing eye.
I have left No.4 till last as this one has baffled me a bit. I have never seen one like it before. I can’t make out an inner circle at all. It either very narrow or if it’s the green it’s blown right out into the iris. There is a difference between the green and the yellow further out into the eye. The iris is nice. Rich in colour, red, very mountainous with plenty of room. If the green is the inner circle then this could be a very good breeding eye. Very interesting eye.
A good selection of eyes there Devo.
Andy

Devo1956 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:59 am
She was no good either.
To be honest, i do like the 4 birds eyes. It reminds me of the old Sion family. I had birds from the Hietzman family from Kentucky. Really strong birds that were brave to get home.
Interesting that you say about the sions. It looks from the photos that you posted that he must keep the blues separate from the reds as there isn’t any blue chequers. I remember the sions that dad had from Stan Guppy back in the sixties. These were mainly red grizzles. They were good distance pigeons and dad won what was then a very strong London and South Coast combine race from Bergerac 414mls with a red grizzle hen. I think this was in 1970. Correct me if I’m wrong Trev. The photo of her is in the study at mum’s. I think she was named the loner. From what I can remember she went missing from our old house as a youngster. She was missing all winter and turned up at our new address, but the same loft, about half a mile away, the following spring.
Devo1956

Andy wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:50 pm
Devo1956 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:59 am

Interesting that you say about the sions. It looks from the photos that you posted that he must keep the blues separate from the reds as there isn’t any blue chequers. I remember the sions that dad had from Stan Guppy back in the sixties. These were mainly red grizzles. They were good distance pigeons and dad won what was then a very strong London and South Coast combine race from Bergerac 414mls with a red grizzle hen. I think this was in 1970. Correct me if I’m wrong Trev. The photo of her is in the study at mum’s. I think she was named the loner. From what I can remember she went missing from our old house as a youngster. She was missing all winter and turned up at our new address, but the same loft, about half a mile away, the following spring.
Andy my sions where from a very good distance flyer, I got 2 pairs off him a white/ red sadle back and red grizzels. Very strong birds they were, i started working out of town so gave them back to him.
Devo1956

Andy wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:35 pm Ok. So I use eyesign mainly for breeding purposes. I personally don’t actually think that the eye can give an indication on the distance that a pigeon can perform at. I think the best way to find this out is the breeding of the pigeon along with the basket. From a breeding point of view though the best are those with good inner circles and room in the iris.
So in my opinion the best eye is No.1 This eye has everything I would like to see in a top breeder. The inner circle is super. Very wide and well serrated around the outer edge of it. This circle looks just like a washer laid around the pupil. The circle of colouration is a dominant violet and is full of waves throughout. The pink reddish iris is mountainous and has the room in it that I look for. A lovely breeding eye.
No.3 would be my second choice. The inner circle again is wide and serrated. This one has the advantage of being of just the one colour. The thing that goes a bit against this one is the fullness of the iris. Although a nice rich red in colour the violet circle of colouration can only be seen in a few parts of the iris. This one would be more difficult to breed from but should still breed well and also race well.
No.2 is another nice eye. The inner circle is quite wide with dark shading particularly visible at the bottom of the eye between 5 & 7 o’clock. This has a nice yellow circle of colouration with plenty of ridges in it. The iris is flatter in this one making this more of a racing eye.
I have left No.4 till last as this one has baffled me a bit. I have never seen one like it before. I can’t make out an inner circle at all. It either very narrow or if it’s the green it’s blown right out into the iris. There is a difference between the green and the yellow further out into the eye. The iris is nice. Rich in colour, red, very mountainous with plenty of room. If the green is the inner circle then this could be a very good breeding eye. Very interesting eye.
A good selection of eyes there Devo.
Thanks for your reading Andy, Its really good how we select birds in so many ways. But it makes the sport better.
Trev

Great idea Dev, sorry I've joined the party so late.
I'm not an eyesign man but do like to see a nice bright and healthy eye, I have tried to use it in the past to select my breeding pairs but not really gone much deeper than that.
All 4 of these eyes are very different and personally I like them all, I've not read the later comments on this post as I wanted to put my thoughts before I did.
No 1 is well defined in all circles and nicely proportioned, I would say it was more of a sprint/middle distance bird. More a racer than breeder !!
No 2 again is nicely defined with lovely bright coluring, a very full eye so would want to go to a bird with a bit more space in the eye, I'd say it was a sprint bird and again more a racer than breeder.
No 3 is probably my favourite eye, nice and bright, full with nice circles again that mix in together nicely. I think this is probably a distance bird who would go well in the stock loft.
No 4 again I like although the circles aren't so well defined with inner circle not visible at all, again I think it's a distance bird and in my opinion would be an asset in the stock loft as that eye will mix nicely with a fuller eye.
I would pair 3 and 4 together and 1 with 2.