Different views.

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Devo1956

Buster121 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:47 pm
Devo1956 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:16 am I think this is true in the pigeon world, and we hear about it all the time.You as a trainer may need some improvement in different aspects of the sport: feeding, training, medication, trapping and loft management. It is hard for us to accept the blame for poor results or heavy loses. We much rather blame the birds, the weather, the transport company, or some other area, but not our own abilities or methods.
Not me mate read my signature :lol: :lol:
:P :P :P I Buster i dont know how many times i have been told this, the best one was a cat stopped them from clocking in lost loads of time.
Andy

Heard my different stories over the years. I think if kept simple the birds perform better. It’s any easy sport if you don’t get swayed by all the different things that are said you need to do to get the best from them.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

Andy wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:38 pm Heard my different stories over the years. I think if kept simple the birds perform better. It’s any easy sport if you don’t get swayed by all the different things that are said you need to do to get the best from them.
I totally agree, Andy. Good pigeons, a kind fancier, a good loft, clean food, fresh water, fresh air and plenty of exercise,
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Buster121

Devo1956 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:42 pm
Devo1956 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:16 am I think this is true in the pigeon world, and we hear about it all the time.You as a trainer may need some improvement in different aspects of the sport: feeding, training, medication, trapping and loft management. It is hard for us to accept the blame for poor results or heavy loses. We much rather blame the birds, the weather, the transport company, or some other area, but not our own abilities or methods.
:P :P :P I Buster i dont know how many times i have been told this, the best one was a cat stopped them from clocking in lost loads of time.
As everyone else I have heard many stories, like I say read my signature I am my own worst enemy the birds are ok
Andy

It takes time to develop a team of birds that both suit you and the area and type of racing you're aiming at. I think far too many people look for instant success and if they don’t get it think that things aren’t right or the birds aren’t good enough and change everything. Then just keep going around in the same circles looking for some magical solution.
The solution lays with the fancier. Stick with the birds you have. Bin all the formulas and medications and concentrate on fresh water, good sound corn and patience. There is no secrets in pigeon racing, although some would have you believe there are.
Test your birds to see which are your best for what you’re trying to achieve and keep good records. By all means bring in a bit of new blood from time to time. But this should be to enhance your team and be blended into your existing team, not replacing them. You may be behind to start with but given time your birds will start to repay you.
Murray

True that, Andy. How many times have you seen a bloke clean out the whole lot, get a bunch of new pigeons that are the "new best thing", and find that he has no more success than before?
I have been lucky enough to get some good quality pigeons over the last several years. I have crossed them with my own family and it certainly seems to have improved the strain. They were getting very inbred.
But the loft, the feeding, the routine, all that stays pretty much the same all the time. It suits me and it appears to suit the birds.
Murray

Why do you say that, Buster?
Buster121

Murray wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:18 am
Why do you say that, Buster?
Because I have no idea at all how to get the best from my birds or how or what to feed for certain weathers and distances Murray, you see, read and hear folks giving extra say maize when cooler or beans for the distance stuff like that I can walk into any loft and pick there best out but no ideas how to do things myself that is a true and honest appraisal of myself, people talk about birds being apple bodied what do they mean being cork like etc etc
Murray

Buster, I hear what you are saying, and let me assure you that you are not alone. There is a whole lot of garbage being promoted as the "latest advance".
Allow me to tell you a story. When I was 16 I came from New Zealand to Australia as an apprentice jockey. My boss had a library of books on breeding and training the racehorse. I devoured them for years.
One was written by a famous old American racehorse trainer. He discussed the correct, and incorrect, build of a racehorse. He was asked about a horse with a 'sway back'. He replied that he would not buy a horse with a sway back, but if he had one it would not stop him from training it.
That has stuck with me for 50 years.
I will train any pigeon that's on a perch. There has been endless nonsense printed on the form and shape of a pigeon.
Good ones win races. The end.
Andy

I don’t think there is any point in trying to assess a pigeon on how it feels, what it’s backs like, how the step in the wing is, shape of the body and even the eyesign lol, etc. They win in all shapes and sizes. The only thing you need to worry about is how they perform in the basket or breeding pen. I prefer a bigger pigeon myself, that’s probably because I have large hands and they fit into them nicely. But I have had very small hens that have also won well.