What are you looking for when you buy a racing pigeon.?

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Devo1956

Just a question for members. when you're looking to buy a new bird for your loft.
George and Morgan

must have raced
Buster121

One that suits what I already have
Andy

Well a good question but a difficult one for me to answer as I have never really looked into buying in pigeons. Going back over the years all my original pigeons were gifted to me. I did buy a couple in club auctions and tried a couple of Leen Boars youngsters brought from Clwyd Lofts which done nothing. I brought 4 for £10 each from a fancier who was retiring and had pick of his loft. These turned out very good although the best cock was killed when the lofts were flattened in the storms in 1987. I brought a dozen youngsters from Massarella, 5 of which were taken by hawks and 2 got rid of. 2 of them made good pigeons. Then apart from the 4 I brought when restating again from massarella I haven’t brought any others in 45 years of keeping pigeons. I have always looked to build on what I have. I have been gifted many recently from members on here that I am still trying to build a team around.
If I was going to look at buying in anything I wouldn’t worry about a pedigree I would just like to know that they came from an established family and not just bred to sell as a lot are. I also wouldn’t want to buy an older pigeon, older than youngsters, without seeing and handling it first.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

I bought a pigeon once at an auction. I don't recall it ever breeding anything much good.
I have started up racing a couple of times in New Zealand and once here. Nearly all my birds have been gifts, either youngsters or eggs, which I have mainly kept for stock. Presently I have my own family, mainly Jansen x Van Loon, bred from gift youngsters, and some very good Euro sprint type birds and Jos Thone' middle distance pigeons, also gifts.
Just lucky, I guess. :D
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Devo1956

It all depends on if you are buying online, or being able to handle the birds before buying. So many things come into play, myself i do like to know the history of the family lines. I use this for future crossing or in breeding. If you can handle the bird all sounds well, but what are you looking for? the shape of the bird pear shape? A strong back by the tail showing, or by the eyes. Stop right there look at the droppings, what do they tell you? There is so much to find out about the bird, now these things are so important to your future breeding. But most of all the birds health is paramount before adding to your loft. Just my thoughts.