A yearly budget cost.

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
George and Morgan

don't tell the wife Steve
Devo1956

George and Morgan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:49 pm don't tell the wife Steve
I was waiting for that George. :D :D :D
George and Morgan

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Buster121

George and Morgan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:49 pm don't tell the wife Steve
She with me when I get the stuff, always has a good whinge don't know why :lol: :lol:
Andy

I don’t know what I spend but it will be a lot. Although I resigned from the NFC, BICC & BBC meaning I didn’t have to pay their subs I still am a member of the CSCFC. Also had to pay my membership to Glastonbury FC and the WOESRC. Also had to pay for membership to the Victoria club, our club headquarters. 40 life rings, 40 ETS rings. Weekly racing fee, around £15/week. Feed for an average of around 50 birds. Although of course I get that at trade price. Cost of fuel for training, although not much, and fuel for getting too and from the club, 20 miles each way on a Friday and Saturday. Cost of vaccine. Courier charges for 3 birds I had returned. Can’t think of anymore at present but all adds up.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

Andy wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:09 pm I don’t know what I spend but it will be a lot. Although I resigned from the NFC, BICC & BBC meaning I didn’t have to pay their subs I still am a member of the CSCFC. Also had to pay my membership to Glastonbury FC and the WOESRC. Also had to pay for membership to the Victoria club, our club headquarters. 40 life rings, 40 ETS rings. Weekly racing fee, around £15/week. Feed for an average of around 50 birds. Although of course I get that at trade price. Cost of fuel for training, although not much, and fuel for getting too and from the club, 20 miles each way on a Friday and Saturday. Cost of vaccine. Courier charges for 3 birds I had returned. Can’t think of anymore at present but all adds up.
Like you say it all adds up, its good to know members thoughts on this subject. I know i spent a good price when i had the birds, there are some things you dont even think about. Well its good that you can get a trade price for your feed, i guess that helps out towards other things needed.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:09 pm I don’t know what I spend but it will be a lot. Although I resigned from the NFC, BICC & BBC meaning I didn’t have to pay their subs I still am a member of the CSCFC. Also had to pay my membership to Glastonbury FC and the WOESRC. Also had to pay for membership to the Victoria club, our club headquarters. 40 life rings, 40 ETS rings. Weekly racing fee, around £15/week. Feed for an average of around 50 birds. Although of course I get that at trade price. Cost of fuel for training, although not much, and fuel for getting too and from the club, 20 miles each way on a Friday and Saturday. Cost of vaccine. Courier charges for 3 birds I had returned. Can’t think of anymore at present but all adds up.
Can't you offset your costs as a business cost Andy
Andy

Not sure that my accountant would go along with that lol. The pigeon corn does come as part of my normal deliveries so is paid for by the shop.
Devo1956

The reason i brought up this topic, was to look at a racing breeding loft. with 60 birds. so looking at the costs.

60 x 1.5 ounces of feed works out at 90 ounces daily.
Over the 7 days of feeding it works out 630 ounces
Over the month it works out 2,730 ounces
And over the year it works out 32,760 ounces of food
So this works out at 928.73 Kg, which is 46.43 bags of corn 20 kg. Each year.

So this is just for the feed of 60 birds, without the add on of any grit and minerals, also sunflower seeds peanuts and so on.
then there are club fees and RPRA, along with fed and combine. Price to send birds racing, training cost, fuel cost. all adds up.

So looking at anyone wanting to come into the sport, they have the cost of a shed and inside furniture needed, traps, baskets
also drinkers and feeders, along with a clock. Then we need to buy nest bowls, pots, and nest box fronts.

So the list is getting longer, and for some very off putting.
Andy

Yes Dev the setting up is expensive with everything you need. Can be made a bit cheaper by buying second hand, making your own or converting a garden shed. They always say buy the best that you can afford as far as the pigeons are concerned. But how does a new starter know what’s good and what’s not. Whilst fanciers in the sport won’t give away or even sell their best I think going to a good genuine local fancier you could obtain sound pigeons for a reasonable amount, especially a few late breds. There are plenty of good people out there only too willing to help. I agree that pigeon racing isn’t cheap. But what hobby/sport is. How much does it cost for a season ticket for Anfield? Add to that the cost of team shirts, scarves, programs etc. The cost of going to away games, and what about travelling to European games? Fishing isn’t cheap, keeping even a share in a race horse isn’t cheap, even keeping up with the latest technology is very expensive. I have a customer that shows dogs, the amount they spend on them is ridiculous. What other sport can you do mainly from your own home? What other sport gives you that interaction with a living animal that needs your love and support and rewards you for it? So yes pigeon racing is expensive but no more than a lot of other sports/hobbies.
Ps Roxanna smokes and spends a lot more on baccy than I spend on the pigeons!!