is this for real

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Buster121

George and Morgan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:18 pm 6th placed :bird in premier olr auction just sold for £920 :lol: :lol:
Crazy more money than sense
George and Morgan

33rd place bird£195
Buster121

Had a look at lot 145 on the RPRA that could be a good bird

RPRA One Loft 2023 Young Birds Auction
Lot No. Ring No Colour Sex Web Name Breed Pedigree HS1 HS2 HS3 HS4 Final Ace
145 GB23 V19323 Dark Chequer Pied Cock Mr Kevin Rogers Roland Janssen x Jan Aarden SIRE: GB22Z08606 Roland Janssen blue
GSIRE: Bred via the lines of 2nd Quievrain
602b. 22nd Quievrain 882b. 72nd Quievrain
1343b. Bred by Roland Janssen. Now the
property of Louella GDAM: Both parents
bred by Roland Janssen. Direct dtr of Vaal
Bingo. Bred by Louella Pigeon World DAM:
GB22Z49541 LPW Jan Aarden cheq. SIRE:
Bred via the lines of True Grit De Barcelona
241. Jan Aarden Marathon Distance family
GDAM: Bred via the line of Barcelona 241 a
multiple winner. Jan Aarden Marathon
Dist
Buster121

George and Morgan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:34 pm 33rd place bird£195
Some folks have short pockets mate
Buster121

Here is another possible

146 GB23 V16422 Blue Tic Eye Hen MMR Sire: GB20N44083, Blue, Cock,Bred by
Milly's Loft Direct from their super
Bloodlines, GSire: GB13J8929, blue, Sire to
Mr Dundee 2x 1st UK at SAMDPR. GGSire:
GB11J34325, Blue, cock "Andreas", GGDam:
GB12N93405, Hen, Princess 205. GDam:
GB19E40300, Hen, Fantastic racer 1st fed,
4th fed, 1st club, 4th club, 2nd club 2021,
then stock. GGSire: GB13J20776, Cock,
"Bobby". GGDam: AU14GFL292, Hen. Dam:
GB20S48912, Chequer Hen, Raced full WDW
programme consistently, direct daughter of
2017 WDW OLR winner. GSire: GB17Z18412,
Chequer, cock, "WDW Winner" TAD T 2017
WDW OLR winner Falaise 293 Miles Winner
approx 25k. GGSire: GB10Z58296, Chequer
cock, "My Amos". GGDam: GB15X15416,
Chequer Hen "Jan Hooymansx". Gdam:
NL161817361, Chequer Hen, P Veenstra.
GGSire: NL111160001, Chequer, cock, "Son
Rolex". GGDam: NL141373588. Chequer
Hen, "Sister Esmee".
Andy

The problem I have with the OLR is the number of birds lost. Not a good advert for the sport with the animal rights people. Why they have trainers at such stupidly short distances I don’t know. They lose loads from these. Better starting at 10 miles. The other thing is although some birds are sold for good money what happens to those that don’t get bid on. The birds are just a commodity for the one season. Apart from those purchased for breeding what do you do with the others. Their racing is in most circumstances finished after just the one year as if not wanted for breeding the others would have to be broken.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

Buster121 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:43 pm Here is another possible

146 GB23 V16422 Blue Tic Eye Hen MMR Sire: GB20N44083, Blue, Cock,Bred by
Milly's Loft Direct from their super
Bloodlines, GSire: GB13J8929, blue, Sire to
Mr Dundee 2x 1st UK at SAMDPR. GGSire:
GB11J34325, Blue, cock "Andreas", GGDam:
GB12N93405, Hen, Princess 205. GDam:
GB19E40300, Hen, Fantastic racer 1st fed,
4th fed, 1st club, 4th club, 2nd club 2021,
then stock. GGSire: GB13J20776, Cock,
"Bobby". GGDam: AU14GFL292, Hen. Dam:
GB20S48912, Chequer Hen, Raced full WDW
programme consistently, direct daughter of
2017 WDW OLR winner. GSire: GB17Z18412,
Chequer, cock, "WDW Winner" TAD T 2017
WDW OLR winner Falaise 293 Miles Winner
approx 25k. GGSire: GB10Z58296, Chequer
cock, "My Amos". GGDam: GB15X15416,
Chequer Hen "Jan Hooymansx". Gdam:
NL161817361, Chequer Hen, P Veenstra.
GGSire: NL111160001, Chequer, cock, "Son
Rolex". GGDam: NL141373588. Chequer
Hen, "Sister Esmee".
A really good loft for OLR, they do get some really good results.
Andy

Devo1956 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:58 am
Buster121 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:47 am
Devo1956 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:18 am Great feedback on Trevs thought, of the topic of OLR. This is what the site needs good topics and great feedback from all. Yes we know the racing of pigeons is becoming a stressful time for birds and owners. So how do we go about ways and means to combat this.? Well first we need to look at ourselves, are we doing all tasks right to perform at racing levels. Be honest walk into your loft and have a good look around, what is the quality of the birds sitting on each perch. The answer to that , have they earned the right to be there. So we come to record keeping then we know each birds loft record. The answer is there, in black and white. So the answer is quality over quantity, this alone brings down costs of the loft budget. I say loft budget because the simple fact, Pigeon racing is not just a hobby anymore, its about competing and to compete you have to raise your own levels. The birds cannot do it by themselves, so good loft management is needed in all areas.
The OLR started as it says on the tin, but over the years prize money has increased, so the need to win has become even much more on the agenda. The breeding of winners of these races, well this is all part of the system now. You can have a guy sending 120 youngsters to the OlR, because he can have as long as he pays all the money due Will he have the winning bird? We can go on and on about are OLR good for the sport, well i would say Racing pigeon sport is known more about these days, because of the social media. Being kept in the news keeps the sport alive.

Just remember you are in a 365 day sport, If you want to win there are no days off. Dont blame the birds if you are not putting in the shifts.
How does one decide what has earned a perch or not, one may be poor on the road but breeds winners for fun no person has the right to be judge, jury and executioner after all we allowed them into the world and they should live there lives out naturally
Good point Buster, and yes no one has the right to be the executioner of any act like this. But you have to sometimes face facts, if the birds do not race well for you. You have to make a choice, do you want to win or take part in racing.?
This is where the sport has changed so much in the last 20 years, there are underlying factors why the bird is not racing well. And sometimes this is where sickness around the loft comes to ripe, if you can be honest and know you have given the bird the chance to show its true ability. And nothing come through in birds performance. Do you keep it as a pet?
I know you say things have changed so much in the last 20 years Dev I’m inclined to disagree and if it has it’s for the worse. I think we have to contend more now with hawks and the diseases we have now that we didn’t in the past, mostly I think because of all the medication and treatments given nowadays. But I think the birds we had 20 years ago were hardier than those of today and speeds aren’t much different.
Devo1956

Andy wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:32 pm
Devo1956 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:58 am
Buster121 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:47 am

How does one decide what has earned a perch or not, one may be poor on the road but breeds winners for fun no person has the right to be judge, jury and executioner after all we allowed them into the world and they should live there lives out naturally
Good point Buster, and yes no one has the right to be the executioner of any act like this. But you have to sometimes face facts, if the birds do not race well for you. You have to make a choice, do you want to win or take part in racing.?
This is where the sport has changed so much in the last 20 years, there are underlying factors why the bird is not racing well. And sometimes this is where sickness around the loft comes to ripe, if you can be honest and know you have given the bird the chance to show its true ability. And nothing come through in birds performance. Do you keep it as a pet?
I know you say things have changed so much in the last 20 years Dev I’m inclined to disagree and if it has it’s for the worse. I think we have to contend more now with hawks and the diseases we have now that we didn’t in the past, mostly I think because of all the medication and treatments given nowadays. But I think the birds we had 20 years ago were hardier than those of today and speeds aren’t much different.
Andy i think a lot has changed in the last 20 years, decline in membership and decline of young people in the sport. So we move on to bird illness well some people dont treat their birds for one, how many times, i hear of it must have picked it up in the basket. The whole racing system is so far behind, Old wagons and bird crates in some clubs. Gone are the days where members would stay out after marking, and have a good chat. The prices of food and other things are needed for the running of the loft, some people just cannot meet them any more. I was talking to a good friend of mine, and he said only for his dad wanting to keep the birds, He would be out of it tomorrow. These are my Thoughts.
Andy

Yes Dev there certainly is a problem with the loss of members and the lack of new members coming into the sport. But this has been happening for 50 years. I first started keeping pigeons with dad as did Trev. We both joined the club as teenagers and over those 40+ years I think we would still be the youngest members of the club. I can only remember a handful of new members over all these years that have come into the sport with no family history in it. There are a few fanciers like us and some in our club that have come back into the sport after being out for several years. I suppose once it’s in your blood it’s always there. The trouble is now that new houses have such small gardens that you couldn’t swing a cat in them let alone have a pigeon loft.
I must say that is one thing I am enjoying with the Glastonbury club. The social side is great. Most members stay after marking and clocks for a couple of drinks and a chat.