Loft alterations

Topics relating to construction or maintenance of your loft, boxes and pigeon equipment
PHILBODEN

Very nice Andy looks great hope it all goes well for next season.
Devo1956

Its looking good mate, you have done well.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:53 am
Buster121 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:00 am I would be pleased as well, you have done a great job there Andy well done, would it matter if they went on the top just a bit more to scrape off
It wouldn’t matter if the same bird/birds also take a nest box. The problem would be if they took that rather than a nest box. It would make things very difficult when on widowhood where they will be fed in their nest box and the hen would be shut in half the nest box on race day.
Understand now mate and see the issue ;) ;)
Andy

I did put a strip of wood above the nest boxes in the widowhood section. It has stopped any getting up there. Most of the cocks have taken a box but there are still a couple that haven’t and just sit on the front of another box at night. The trouble is they don’t like using the bottom boxes. Once paired up they will be fine.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Andy

Today I managed to have another go at the other section that I wanted to change.

This was it this morning.
IMG_2764.jpeg
This section was originally used for the youngsters but is now going to be for a few natural pairs.

So this is what it’s like this evening.
IMG_2989.jpeg
IMG_2992.jpeg
IMG_2994.jpeg
So now all the sections have been completed inside apart from a few more box perches into the new young bird section which has the hens in at present. Won’t do this until the old birds are paired up.
The next thing to do is change the front of the section I have just done.
George and Morgan

yours do look smart Andy shame to let birds into them
Buster121

Well done Andy looking well smart
Murray

Buster121 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:35 pm Well done Andy looking well smart
Too right! Very nice job Andy.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Devo1956

Looking good mate,
Andy

Was able to have another few hours on my loft alterations today. This time it is trying to put a new front on what was the young bird loft. Now going to be used for the natural pairs in one section and the widowhood hens in the other.

This is how the loft was.
IMG_2769.jpeg
Firstly I removed all the old windows and traps.
IMG_3020.jpeg
I managed to fit the new front that gives the birds more room and can lay in the front in the sun. When we get some lol
IMG_3021.jpeg
IMG_3023.jpeg
I have fitted the windows and the drop board on one section before running out of time and light.
IMG_3024.jpeg
IMG_3026.jpeg
I have left the protective cover on the polycarbonate at present as when I removed it it was so clear that you couldn’t see it and the birds would have flown into it. I just need to allow a bit of bloom to get on it. I also have to fit the trap with the ETS pad inside the loft from the drop board.

Hope to get the rest done by the end of the week.