Life in Bendigo.

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Buster121

Nice to see they doing well Murray
Trev

Murray wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:32 am I would hate to be a young family trying to survive under the new left / far left government in Australia.
But I am old and I shall just keep doing what I have always done, paying no attention to the woke left, the gender theorists, the climate warmists and the alphabet people.
So, today it was a perfect afternoon, the sun was shining, and the cats had been out while I did the vacuuming. At 3.30 pm I let them all out, and they had a nice fly, a bath, a poke around, and the old birds put themselves away.
Then the young birds, after gathering on the roof of the house, took off!
I don't know about anyone else, but an hour later, when they were fully in their stride, it send shivers down my spine watching them work. :o
They would do a couple of loops, get into formation, then GO! Down the rise to the Bendigo creek, about half a mile away. 100 miles an hour.
A minute later they would drive over in a straight line and disappear.
Then they would come back, swing round and round, group up, and GO!
Then when they had been doing this for an hour and a half, the younger ones had long since given up and gone in. Too hard. :)
I had fed everything except the big young birds. Finally they put the brakes on, in 30 seconds they were all in. :D
They were so hot I left the front of the loft open until they had had a feed and a drink and settled down. You could feel the heat coming off them.
When I took the feed away, closed the loft, and before I turned the lights off, I picked a few of them up. Some of them wriggled. Instead of holding them I opened my hand and let them lie in the palm of my hand.
I doubt that many people would describe keeping racing pigeons as "exciting".
This is.
I do fear for our grandchildren, I certainly don't fancy the life ahead of them 😥 I just pray that one day things will improve 🙏
Great to hear the birds are doing well mate and that the youngsters are gaining strength and experience 👍 Mine are up and down all day but I can't say I have seen them go off ranging yet !!
Murray

I have been fiddling around with the shed, putting the sputnik on it, closing the fronts up more to keep the warm in at night. Always tinkering.
i have gone right back to my 'normal mix', with equal parts of maize, peas, milo, safflower and wheat, and plenty of grit with mineral mix.
Garlic and ACV.
And chopped veggies at the weekend. :)
One thing I do know is your pigeons will hit form when all your stars align.
When the loft is correct, the pigeons are good enough, and the feeding is correct for the season, they just, erupt!
Its a pity it is not that easy to produce on demand :cry:
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Murray

Murray wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:21 am It's a shame. The little hen has had all the tosses, has never done a thing wrong, and looks a million bucks.
It's father is a Van loon x Jos Thone,
It's mother is a Jos Thone x Van Loon.
Unrelated.
She was not happy with me pointing the camera at her. Adopted an angry pose :)
004.JPG
That little pied hen is back in the loft. She cannot fly, I think that wing is buggered. But she can get up onto a bottom perch somehow, and eats and drinks and wanders around the garden, and has a bath.
So she will be another one that is of no use, but what can you do? It is a wee busy body of a thing, and getting rid of it would be unkind.
Murray

So, on day two of our new far left woke green government, the new prime minister and a handful of gender theorist cabinet ministers boarded a BIG commercial jet to fly to Tokyo.
So we have to ride bicycles and use candles, while the left elite fly around in jumbo jets.
It is a bit like, "our farts don't smell".
killer

You know the are differant ,lol
Murray

I have not been well today.
I have a bit of lung disease and the sudden cold, wet weather left me struggling to breathe.
So I came home and had a nap. Then the rain stopped and it cleared up a bit.
The boys were very keen to go out, but when they found that every thing was soaking wet, they soon lost interest. Cats don't like wet feet. :lol:
So I let the pigeons out, and gave them an adequate, if not thorough scrape out,
The birds had been shut in all day because of the rain, and were very keen. :D
When I put them away, they were very happy.
They felt much better. And so did I.
Buster121

Hope you get well soon mate
Andy

Sorry to hear your a bit under the weather Murray. Hope you feel better soon.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

Thanks guys. :D
Was still a bit average this morning, but have kept going and worked myself out of it.
Went to work and gave the loft a good clean and sweep this afternoon.