young members getting into the sport.

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Devo1956

What are your thoughts on this question? Do you think there is a decline in young members coming into the sport. Just a few things i have wrote down.

Time is needed for racing and keeping the birds in good health;

Price of food, racing the birds, training.

Price of a pigeon loft and baskets.

Cost of racing and training of birds.

I guess we have all seen the costs rise over the past few years, and this is on everything we need.
George and Morgan

if family member is not into pigeons then it's difficult to bring in young people
Devo1956

George and Morgan wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:33 pm if family member is not into pigeons then it's difficult to bring in young people
yes mate i agree, it does help.
Buster121

Costs are sky rocketting on everything again
Andy

I think there are a few things that stop youngsters coming into the sport. The costs are certainly prohibitive but I don’t think this is the biggest deterrent, I do think they are unlikely to come into or even hear about the sport unless brought up involved in the sport. Another very large thing that I think would stop even those wishing to have a go in the sport is the housing regulations nowadays. Gardens are far too small to get any sort of loft in and many councils wouldn’t even allow the keeping of pigeons. Also the youngsters of today don’t want to be looking after animals of any sort when they can just sit in their rooms on electrical devices.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:04 pm I think there are a few things that stop youngsters coming into the sport. The costs are certainly prohibitive but I don’t think this is the biggest deterrent, I do think they are unlikely to come into or even hear about the sport unless brought up involved in the sport. Another very large thing that I think would stop even those wishing to have a go in the sport is the housing regulations nowadays. Gardens are far too small to get any sort of loft in and many councils wouldn’t even allow the keeping of pigeons. Also the youngsters of today don’t want to be looking after animals of any sort when they can just sit in their rooms on electrical devices.
All so true as well, they wouldn't be able to take there eyes off a screen long enough to scrape out
Devo1956

Buster121 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:50 pm
Andy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:04 pm I think there are a few things that stop youngsters coming into the sport. The costs are certainly prohibitive but I don’t think this is the biggest deterrent, I do think they are unlikely to come into or even hear about the sport unless brought up involved in the sport. Another very large thing that I think would stop even those wishing to have a go in the sport is the housing regulations nowadays. Gardens are far too small to get any sort of loft in and many councils wouldn’t even allow the keeping of pigeons. Also the youngsters of today don’t want to be looking after animals of any sort when they can just sit in their rooms on electrical devices.
All so true as well, they wouldn't be able to take there eyes off a screen long enough to scrape out
When i was at school i made a fly loft, could not break them out. They kept flying away, i fed them on sugar. Lol
Andy

Devo1956 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:25 pm
When i was at school i made a fly loft, could not break them out. They kept flying away, i fed them on sugar. Lol
😂😂😂
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

Andy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:27 pm
Devo1956 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:25 pm

😂😂😂
That is true Andy, painted it black and white stripes. Lol