What would your choice be.

Post your topics on breeding or family of pigeons here.
Devo1956

So is this a easy question to answer? Champion Cock or Champion Hen. What would you choose?
George and Morgan

not sue Dev thought i had answer old age thing
Andy

Devo1956 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:11 am So is this a easy question to answer? Champion Cock or Champion Hen. What would you choose?
That’s a good question. I think all things being equal I would go for a hen. Changed my mind a couple of times lol. From a breeding perspective unless you have plenty of room and have a bull system or separate sections at least you can guarantee the offspring are from the hen. Even from a hen you should be able for get 8 youngsters per season. A think a top hen is better to found a loft on. I find they are more reliable at passing the right genes on. Be interesting to hear what others think.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

I would go cock as he can go with many hens
Trev

Yes that is an interesting question and a difficult one too 🤔
I agree with Andy's views and do like to have a matriarch hen in the loft but I think given a choice I'd probably go for a cock bird too as with the right management you could run him with several different hens in a reasonably short space of time.
Having said that a champion of any type would be nice lol 😁😂
Murray

I think I go for a champion hen. I think the tail line of a strain is very important. Quality females as mother, grand mother, grandmother etc are the basis if a good family.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Devo1956

Can i just say, this was not a catch me out question, i just would like to know how other members views was on this question. So myself i would choose the champion bird with the gene history, breeding from champion of champion right down the line.
Andy

Devo1956 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:37 am Can i just say, this was not a catch me out question, i just would like to know how other members views was on this question. So myself i would choose the champion bird with the gene history, breeding from champion of champion right down the line.
Didn’t see it as a trick question, a very good question. Although breeding just from the best racers (champions) down the line will breed some very good birds unfortunately some of the best racers don’t reproduce the goods and you could potentially miss the one (more often hen than cock in my experience) who although not the best at racing can be a goldmine in the breeding loft. This I think is where line breeding and in breeding come into their own to enhance the good genes and breed out the poor ones.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

Andy wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:40 am
Devo1956 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:37 am Can i just say, this was not a catch me out question, i just would like to know how other members views was on this question. So myself i would choose the champion bird with the gene history, breeding from champion of champion right down the line.
Didn’t see it as a trick question, a very good question. Although breeding just from the best racers (champions) down the line will breed some very good birds unfortunately some of the best racers don’t reproduce the goods and you could potentially miss the one (more often hen than cock in my experience) who although not the best at racing can be a goldmine in the breeding loft. This I think is where line breeding and in breeding come into their own to enhance the good genes and breed out the poor ones.
Well i do agree with what you say Andy, and yes not a trick question. Its good to get other members views on subjects like this. So thank you all for your thoughts.
MIL

Devo1956 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:11 am So is this a easy question to answer? Champion Cock or Champion Hen. What would you choose?
Just looking at some old topics that I hadn't realised were here until now

Assuming (for arguments sake) that the Champion Cock and the Champion hen were of a similar genetic quality I'd say "cock"

There's only so many eggs in a hen and you could get more from the cock

So that being the case I'd go for the Champion that I could utilise the most