Stoney Cross 26th August 2023

Post all your results here for others to see.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:36 am
Andy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:58 pm
Buster121 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:39 pm

Not bad at all mate see Mr Wilcox got a few in there
Apparently he did send 120!!
That of course is Stuart Wilcox, auctioneer and co owner of pigeon chat. Won the national a couple of times. He is in Bristol where the bulk of the birds go. Staddons are certainly on a much better line for them to break out on their way to Bristol. Ours would have to virtually go on a different line from the very start. Our 10 against 1:700+ even including the other 3 members down this way and the Crewkerne club still not more than 150 birds. From such short races they would still be in big batches after just 45 minutes of racing.
Yes mate I know who he is, said it before Andy your birds and others down your end are doing well, is Dave Wilson still flying at Crewkerne
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:00 pm
Andy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:36 am

That of course is Stuart Wilcox, auctioneer and co owner of pigeon chat. Won the national a couple of times. He is in Bristol where the bulk of the birds go. Staddons are certainly on a much better line for them to break out on their way to Bristol. Ours would have to virtually go on a different line from the very start. Our 10 against 1:700+ even including the other 3 members down this way and the Crewkerne club still not more than 150 birds. From such short races they would still be in big batches after just 45 minutes of racing.
Yes mate I know who he is, said it before Andy your birds and others down your end are doing well, is Dave Wilson still flying at Crewkerne
Yes he is Buster. Not doing all that well though. I would have won the Crewkerne club this week. The winner was doing 1041ypm, I was doing 1185ypm. Dave Wilson was only doing 635ypm. I was in front of Dave every young bird race so far.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

He has bursts sometimes he does ok others way down no explanation if he does same all the time unless he still bringing birds in from here there and everywhere, I remember breeding him some when he first started and him sending some to the Irish one loft where they did very well for him one finished high up in the final race
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:48 pm He has bursts sometimes he does ok others way down no explanation if he does same all the time unless he still bringing birds in from here there and everywhere, I remember breeding him some when he first started and him sending some to the Irish one loft where they did very well for him one finished high up in the final race
He lives in Yeovil not far from me.
The ones that done well in the one loft race were obviously good birds that you bred and with different management. Wasn’t he on the forum at one point?
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:19 pm
Buster121 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:48 pm He has bursts sometimes he does ok others way down no explanation if he does same all the time unless he still bringing birds in from here there and everywhere, I remember breeding him some when he first started and him sending some to the Irish one loft where they did very well for him one finished high up in the final race
He lives in Yeovil not far from me.
The ones that done well in the one loft race were obviously good birds that you bred and with different management. Wasn’t he on the forum at one point?
Yes ''Boys in blue'' he used to say hello now and then but hasn't bothered in an age and I don't see his results anymore, I know he had a lot from Terry Luscombe that he did well with, think he bred them out of some of the ones from me because if I remember right he had some then sent some young to the OLR same year but really cannot remember how it went memory not the same these days :) :)
Trev

Andy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:19 pm Here is your Mealey cock this evening Buster.

IMG_2690.jpeg

Dispute his relatively young age he has paired to an old hen. He was sitting for the first 3 races and driving the hen this weekend. She laid Friday night so should be sitting for the last 3 races. It will be interesting to see what he does on widowhood next year.
He doesn’t really like being caught. The first couple of races his ETS ring didn’t register on arrival but I have since sorted it out so thankfully no need to catch him when he arrives home. On the other hand blue chequer cock 65 of yours is on at me all the time for a few peanuts.
I am more than happy to test them out for you. I’m not in the best position in the club for these short races but they are still close and considering the hard races we have had with the youngsters they are doing very well. Just 3 races left now.
He looks well Andy, he is like the lovely little I had last year and sadly lost trying to break. I have the two left of Busters, one is the lovely little blue poed hen, she is quite friendly. The other is the Stichlebaut, he is as wild as anything 😬 nice in the hand though 👍😊
Trev

Andy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:28 pm This was the combine result for this week. So as you can see not too far away really.

IMG_2691.jpeg
IMG_2692.jpeg
Looks like a pretty well spread result this week Andy, some big names in that combine. I do think in the conditions we have been having this year that those who have trained a lot have benefited as I think their birds are breaking out before they get dragged too far off course !! It certainly looks like that in our club/fed results. My birds have just started coming home in batches over the past two weeks, I think it has taken them this time to find a line whereas those who've trained regularly already had theirs. It probably won't persuade me to do things differently next year as I'm not too bothered about getting results from these short young bird races and I think/hope that it is teaching the birds to find their own way rather than stick in batches which is what they will need when it comes to the longer ones as old birds. Having said that I am hopeful that the babies will be spot on for Wetherby in two weeks time 🤞🙏
Trev

Buster121 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:21 pm
Buster121 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:39 pm

Not bad at all mate see Mr Wilcox got a few in there
120 suppose it keeps others costs down a bit
It certainly does mate which is why I'll never knock the big senders, the sport needs them. The big races prove that even they are beatable by the smaller lofts !! I'm not sure about Lance Gunn but I know Chris Neeve who won Geurnsey with BBC last weekend wouldn't have sent many more than about half a dozen birds.
Trev

I think that is sometimes the problem for some fliers and if our young Danny isn't careful could happen to him too ! I think if you buy in youngsters every year you are running the risk of weakening your team rather than strengthening it. I'm not saying you shouldn't introduce new blood as I think this can be a good thing as long as you get the balance right. You need to be able to breed from your best birds each year in order to keep on improving your blood line. Using Danny as an example, this year he bred very few youngsters from his best racers from last year and this but spent a lot of money buying birds from the same source that he has purchased from the last two years so he is relying completely on the breeder to get better birds than he already has but in reality he is probably only buying at best the same. That of course is fine if its youngsters that you want to win with 👍😊
Just my opinion 👍😁 Many roads lead to Rome as they say 😉
Buster121

Trev wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:28 am
I think that is sometimes the problem for some fliers and if our young Danny isn't careful could happen to him too ! I think if you buy in youngsters every year you are running the risk of weakening your team rather than strengthening it. I'm not saying you shouldn't introduce new blood as I think this can be a good thing as long as you get the balance right. You need to be able to breed from your best birds each year in order to keep on improving your blood line. Using Danny as an example, this year he bred very few youngsters from his best racers from last year and this but spent a lot of money buying birds from the same source that he has purchased from the last two years so he is relying completely on the breeder to get better birds than he already has but in reality he is probably only buying at best the same. That of course is fine if its youngsters that you want to win with 👍😊
Just my opinion 👍😁 Many roads lead to Rome as they say 😉
That is what I was saying other day he needs to find 1 or 2 and listen to them taking what both say then discard 50% off each and combine remaining 50%