Littlehampton 19th August 2023

Post all your results here for others to see.
Andy

Well another tough race today with many empty perches at nightfall.
Being still 7 short from last weekend I sent the remaining 13 again this week. This is their 4th race. There are 5 more races left and if alls well they will be sent right through the program. If I only end up with a couple so be it. At least the ones left would have earned a perch for the winter and will have been well tested.
The combine were liberated at 10.05 with clear skies and a strong SW wind. It was always going to be a tough race with a strong head/side wind pushing them well to the north of the combine.
I did think that without the heavy showers of last weekend around they may have been a bit quicker than last week. It didn’t turn out that way. At 12.30 I had Busters mealey cock drop straight onto the loft, which is quite unusual as they usually pitch in the tree behind the loft of the tall house beside it. He done almost exactly the same time as last week when he was also my first bird. I had a second at 12.42, one that I bred. The third at 12.45, a blue cock of Busters. Fourth at 12.55, another little hen of mine followed at 13.00 by another of Busters, 225 B.CH.PD cock. I thought they would continue to steadily keep dropping but had to wait nearly an hour for the next, the fourth of Busters out of 8 sent. A seventh, one of mine, another half hour later than that was it. 7/13 when I went up the club. Returns in general were pretty similar to mine. 29/37, 12/16, 11/15, 7/12, 3/7 with one member 0/7. I had one more when I got back from the club, another of Busters.
I wasn’t too far behind really considering my loft location. I did win the £10 nom as I had nominated Busters mealey.
IMG_2662.jpeg
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

Well done Andy, good to see he contributing to the costs, hoping all missing ones turn up safely, not a bad result at all considering winds etc
Andy

I had one more back today. 226 blue hen from Buster. A bit tired otherwise ok.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:58 pm I had one more back today. 226 blue hen from Buster. A bit tired otherwise ok.
Good to see there still coming back hope others do as well
Andy

I’ve been trying to show the difficulty we have in the combine especially in a SW or S wind.

This is our route from Littlehampton this week.
IMG_2667.jpeg
This is the route that the combine winners took.
IMG_2668.jpeg
IMG_2669.jpeg
This is the combine result this weekend
IMG_2666.png
You can see that ours will have been way to the North of us.
Buster121

When you look at the fed sheet you can see even top flyers struggle with the winds, Templar, Wilcox, Rogers even Booth and Roper, the maps do show the hard work the birds have to put in hopefully the winds will drop or change for the better
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:05 pm When you look at the fed sheet you can see even top flyers struggle with the winds, Templar, Wilcox, Rogers even Booth and Roper, the maps do show the hard work the birds have to put in hopefully the winds will drop or change for the better
The velocities drop off quickly. The winning velocity is the combine was 1479. The 50th was 1255. Our club winning velocity was 1169!!
The forecast for next weekend at the moment is for a light NW wind. Should keep them down our way better. We’re back to Stoney Stoke just 34 miles for me.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:50 am
Buster121 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:05 pm When you look at the fed sheet you can see even top flyers struggle with the winds, Templar, Wilcox, Rogers even Booth and Roper, the maps do show the hard work the birds have to put in hopefully the winds will drop or change for the better
The velocities drop off quickly. The winning velocity is the combine was 1479. The 50th was 1255. Our club winning velocity was 1169!!
The forecast for next weekend at the moment is for a light NW wind. Should keep them down our way better. We’re back to Stoney Stoke just 34 miles for me.
Fingers crossed for it
Trev

Andy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:02 am Well another tough race today with many empty perches at nightfall.
Being still 7 short from last weekend I sent the remaining 13 again this week. This is their 4th race. There are 5 more races left and if alls well they will be sent right through the program. If I only end up with a couple so be it. At least the ones left would have earned a perch for the winter and will have been well tested.
The combine were liberated at 10.05 with clear skies and a strong SW wind. It was always going to be a tough race with a strong head/side wind pushing them well to the north of the combine.
I did think that without the heavy showers of last weekend around they may have been a bit quicker than last week. It didn’t turn out that way. At 12.30 I had Busters mealey cock drop straight onto the loft, which is quite unusual as they usually pitch in the tree behind the loft of the tall house beside it. He done almost exactly the same time as last week when he was also my first bird. I had a second at 12.42, one that I bred. The third at 12.45, a blue cock of Busters. Fourth at 12.55, another little hen of mine followed at 13.00 by another of Busters, 225 B.CH.PD cock. I thought they would continue to steadily keep dropping but had to wait nearly an hour for the next, the fourth of Busters out of 8 sent. A seventh, one of mine, another half hour later than that was it. 7/13 when I went up the club. Returns in general were pretty similar to mine. 29/37, 12/16, 11/15, 7/12, 3/7 with one member 0/7. I had one more when I got back from the club, another of Busters.
I wasn’t too far behind really considering my loft location. I did win the £10 nom as I had nominated Busters mealey.
IMG_2662.jpeg
Well done Andy, a pretty good result considering the conditions again and not bad returns, hopefully the others will work back. At least you are managing to pick up a pound or two to help towards costs 👍😁
North West wind this weekend so that should steady them a bit for you 🤞🤞🤞
Trev

Andy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:50 am
It is funny that the velocities drop off like that, they do in our Fed and club too, it just shows how for some reason the birds get split up very early in the race with some birds getting ahead very quickly !!! It is often the topic of conversation down our club with everyone having their own idea on why this happening 😁 that's why I love this sport lol 😅😄😅