First young bird race

Post all your results here for others to see.
Andy

Today we had our first young bird race of the season. It was from Stoney Cross just 34 miles to me. I am one of the shortest flyers in the club and combine and one of the most southerly.
The birds were liberated at 10.45 into a fresh SW wind. 6 members in the club sent 148 birds with over 1200 in the combine. I thought it was going to be a tough first test for them into a head wind with the drag going north into Bristol. I still thought I should have one in under the hour. I was out in the garden waiting when 2 came together from the NW, completely the opposite direction. After a few circles they landed in the tree dropped down onto the house onto the loft and one trapped quickly. The other one took a while as he was trying to go into the wrong section and when he eventually went in he didn’t register on the pad. So actually lost quite a bit of time. The first was out of a cock from Trev with the second from a different cock from Trev x a hen from Potter. I had to wait for 20 minutes before I got another one. While that was flying around I had another join it then 2 more and then had 7 flying around together. 5 of them were mine. 3 of these were from Buster. They kept coming during the afternoon. I ended up with 19/23 with the last of these at just after 3pm. I have 8 of your 9 back Buster.
I went down the club quite happy. Thinking I was probably a bit behind but happy with my returns. When I got to the club there were a lot of solemn faces. Returns generally were poor. 51/66, 12/20, 4/11, 5/18 and worse of all 1/10.
This is the final result:
IMG_2642.jpeg
As can be seen it was a hard slow race but I’m delighted in being 2nd & 5th.
As a matter of interest mine are the only ones in the club that haven’t been on the darkness. They are starting to fall apart with the one who ended up 5th club being very light in covert feathers over the wing. As long as they aren’t bald around the head I will keep them going.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

Excellent result, Andy.
You have to be be very happy with that, and the youngsters will benefit from the experience.
Well done!
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Trev

Brilliant result Andy, I'm very pleased for you bro. Well done, you deserve it. I hope the others turn up tomorrow and that they continue to come well for you.
Buster121

What a great start Andy and well done on returns hope others get home safely, looks like the training paid off once again well done
Andy

Yes I am pleased. After the 5 training tosses they had where they all returned together this was the first time they had to break out of big batches and sort themselves out. Looking at the combine result all the leading birds were in Bristol doing 1296ypm. The first 20 were timed by 2 members, 10 each, in under a minute. They reckoned that they had big batches flying around there. This is 20 miles NW of me. Mine came from that direction although obviously my first couple had broken out earlier. If they had gone that far being the shortest flyer they also had the furthest to fly back.
Buster121

Well done to Trev and Potter as well on breeding the parents, any more back Andy
DarkPiedCock
Great Britain

Brilliant Andy.Really pleased for you! Brighton and District South Road were at same racepoint. 1770ypm at this end. Still a few missing though.
Living in Brighton & Sunny Sussex.
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:56 pm Well done to Trev and Potter as well on breeding the parents, any more back Andy
3 more back this morning including your other one Buster. So only the one missing. Exercised well this morning and afternoon along with having a bath in the rain.
Buster121

That is good mate hope last one comes as well
Trev

Buster121 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:56 pm Well done to Trev and Potter as well on breeding the parents, any more back Andy
👍😁 cheers Buster.