For our Aussie friends

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Andy

I been thinking🤔🤔. With your racing due to start soon and our old birds nearly finished and the youngsters soon starting I was wondering how you do things over there. Your birds race during your winter. Your birds have generally finished moulting but what system do you use for racing? Being winter I wouldn’t think that yours are raced paired up, on eggs or feeding young. I don’t know whether widowhood would work without the incentive to pair? Just wondering. Your youngsters don’t start racing until quite mature and having gone through the moult. Ours start in a few weeks time. My eldest will be about 16 weeks old by then and the youngest only about 12 weeks old. They are just starting to range. They will have the added burden of falling apart in the moult to contend with.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

It's tipping down with rain, the birds have been fed and cleaned out, and are all closed up with the lights on. So it's a good chance to sit and put a few thoughts down about this.
It's not as simple as saying that we race in the winter in Oz., it's a big country, and the climate ranges from tropical up the top end, to cold and wet winters down the south east where I live. In the north winter racing is essential, the heat would be too hard on them in the summer.
In the south, they got into the habit of racing in the winter to avoid the summer heat, but for the last couple of decades at least it has really not needed. The weather has been mild and pleasant well into the spring every year.
I am a little bit different some some blokes around here in that I breed my young birds in the spring and let them go through the moult in the autumn. By now they are mostly up on their 8th or 9th or last flight and are more or less yearlings. Other blokes tend to breed them later in the spring and summer. Then they use the darkness, or more often the lightness system to stop them moulting, One bloke I know has lights on an automatic timer so they have 12 hours of light every day. even though it is the middle of winter.
Many just race them to the perch, as they are still very young. Mine are still all together, and not many of them are showing interest in pairing up. There are 3 or 4 pairs of young birds in the small boxes in the corners paired up and cooing away at each other, but they aren't showing any signs of nesting or anything. In a week when the days start getting longer they will. :D
There is one little cock bird who was bred in the little stock shed. A few weeks ago he started putting himself back in there and fighting the stock cocks for a nest box.
Then a scruffy little stray turned up and he fell in love with it. :evil: I was forever kicking them out of the shed. In the finish I gave up and put a cardboard box with a nest bowl in it up on top of the stock boxes. in 10 seconds they were in there and he's been good as gold. :lol:
I will race him to his card board box and scruffy little hen. He goes good, too. Had all the tosses and been on the drop every time.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
killer

Andy we love you , but your to set in your ways ,we used to keep 3 types of birds or families , Sprint , middle & longe distance birds ,100 k to over 1100 k ,I suppose your talking of the distance birds ,do you really want to know or carrier on with want your doing , times limited with me,,so I’m not wasting it ,cheers
Andy

Killer. I used a different system years ago than I do now. I know my system now isn’t giving me the best results and needs to change. I used to use widowhood for my sprint/middle distance birds and natural for the distance ones. These were basically the same family though just raced differently. Losses here have been very high this year for both me and others. I’m not sure that pigeons have improved much over the years. Fanciers keep a lot more pigeons nowadays. Back then 30 to 40 pigeons with breeding 20/30 youngsters was the norm. Now teams of 100+ are kept with 100/200 youngsters being bred. I think one of the big differences now is that big teams of stock birds are kept. Many of the latest fads from birds not tested. Also the whole ethos of club racing has changed. It is much more for sprint racing than for distance. Back in the day the big races to win were the clubs longest races. Our longest race in the club is 168 miles. Things have also been made much harder with the problems with racing from over the channel.
I’ve never given much credit to youngbird racing as one that wins one week can be lost the next. They are raced young and immature.
I do want to give the youngsters a couple of races just for experience.
Andy

All I was really asking was that as you are racing during your winter months how do you motivate them?
Murray

No, Andy, I don't think you are getting the best from your birds, but then again I am not getting the best from mine either. It's a bit of a holiday camp here.
I also raced well using the widowhood system years ago, and it works. But, we must work to our individual situation.
Back in the 80's and 90's all the big names in Belgium and The Netherlands were racing widowhood cocks. It was the only way to succeed.
Everyone except perhaps one of the greatest. Jos Van Limpt, 'De Klak' always raced natural. And was phenomenal. When he was very frail near the end of his life, Ad Schaerlaeckens would go to his house and clock his pigeons. Klak would call out which box the pigeons would go to as they arrived! :D
I don't think any system of motivation is the secret.
I think it comes down to good pigeons, no, make that very good pigeons,which are super fit. Super fit.
Murray

Andy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:55 am All I was really asking was that as you are racing during your winter months how do you motivate them?
The answer to that is, most of them are not "motivated" by a mate or a box or anything. They are young, and are taught to home quickly by repeated tosses in big mobs, and are taught to trap quickly by only ever being let out when they are hungry.
It's not motivation, it's imprinting. From the day they exit the loft, hungry, they learn that to be slow in the traps means going to bed on an empty stomach. Repeat 100 times.
They are brainwashed.
I don't do that. Mine are fed as much as they want twice a day, and I can still call them all in within 30 seconds.
They are still imprinted, but it's a 'happy imprint' :D
killer

Andy ,looks like your set on not racing YBS ,or thinking out side the box ,if you start with the right stock ,nothing is impossible ,lmprinting ,would be a start,,
Andy

killer wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:06 am Andy ,looks like your set on not racing YBS ,or thinking out side the box ,if you start with the right stock ,nothing is impossible ,lmprinting ,would be a start,,
I will give the youngsters a few races. The furthest one is only 84 miles.
You’re right about having the right stock. When racing years ago before I had a break from pigeons I had a team that had been built up over 20+ years. They had been tested and moulded into a reliable team. Not a big team but ones that scored regularly. It’s just a case of finding some good foundation stock to start with and building on them. I’m only going to do that by testing them and keeping and breeding from the best. I never really kept stock birds, everting has always flown out.
killer

It’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks ,it’s easy to to improve on what stock you may have push them hard ,then breed off the the survivers ,then find the stock birds off them ,most people are to SOFT,,