Raced today

Post all your results here for others to see.
Andy

We raced today with the WOESRC from Brighton 102 miles to me. I sent 11 birds. They were liberated at 11.45 in a SSW wind. It was always going to favour those to the North of the combine, we are one of the furthest South. It was a testing race with a few empty perches tonight. We have 7/11. Our first bird at 2.35 was a little yearling hen. She was next day last week Littlehampton. She is out of Muzzaboy and a nice hen. Second bird at 2.50 was Steve, the blue pied cock from Buster. Both of these were having their second ever race. Third bird was Muzzaboy boy himself followed a couple of minutes later by a 2 year old red grizzle cock that I bred for Murray. Fifth pigeon was a yearling blue Chequer pied late bred from Tufty. A 9 year old hen that came from Rich, and an 5 year old cock from Pete. Again this hen was only having her second race being on the day lat week. When I got back from the club I had another 2 back. The 2 year old grizzle cock from Trev who won the Barcelona trophy last year after being our first bird from both Wakefield and Hexham on the North road. Also a yearling red grizzle hen bred by me out of the red grizzle cock who was our fourth bird. Hopefully the others will turn up tomorrow. We weren’t all that far behind this week considering. Although we have lost a few in the first 3 races we are having a couple of families coming to the fore.
IMG_2432.jpeg
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

That is a massive improvement mate so pleased to see the newbies coming well, do hope the other return safely, do you think a bit more training along the way would of helped a bit especially not being raced last year
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:33 am That is a massive improvement mate so pleased to see the newbies coming well, do hope the other return safely, do you think a bit more training along the way would of helped a bit especially not being raced last year
It probably would have done. The weather just wasn’t any good at the limited times I have. Having said that talking to other members of the club and Phil there have been some very big losses from those training. It seems that birds are being hit by hawks on most training tosses. Most lofts have pigeons in that can’t race at present do to being hawked. Some of the birds I’ve lost I’m not that surprised about. I think that if I had raced them as youngsters and trained them this year I would probably be down to the same sort of numbers that I am now anyway. One member in our club only has 6 pigeons left another fancier I know is down to 7 and we have barely raced over 100 miles yet.
Trev

Well done Andy, that was a better day for you. There are some big senders in your club so to be as close as you were is a good achievement, especially as yours are still mostly inexperienced birds. Hopefully you will get a few more home today or maybe tomorrow when it brightens up a bit.
It is very sad that so many birds are lost over such short distances but sadly that seems to be the way of it these days.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:06 am
Buster121 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:33 am That is a massive improvement mate so pleased to see the newbies coming well, do hope the other return safely, do you think a bit more training along the way would of helped a bit especially not being raced last year
It probably would have done. The weather just wasn’t any good at the limited times I have. Having said that talking to other members of the club and Phil there have been some very big losses from those training. It seems that birds are being hit by hawks on most training tosses. Most lofts have pigeons in that can’t race at present do to being hawked. Some of the birds I’ve lost I’m not that surprised about. I think that if I had raced them as youngsters and trained them this year I would probably be down to the same sort of numbers that I am now anyway. One member in our club only has 6 pigeons left another fancier I know is down to 7 and we have barely raced over 100 miles yet.
Wow that is some losses
Murray

That's a good result, Andy. You were well in the mix.
With a couple of flies under their belts you could see them starting to appear nearer the top.
As Buster said, with a bit of tossing they might have been a bit sharper first up, but we know you are looking at the long term.
Well done :D
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

There are a few that haven’t had a race yet but there are others that have had 2 or all 3 now. At least I am getting the chance to sort them out. I sure that’s what’s left at the end of the season will be worth keeping.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:30 am There are a few that haven’t had a race yet but there are others that have had 2 or all 3 now. At least I am getting the chance to sort them out. I sure that’s what’s left at the end of the season will be worth keeping.
Sure they will mate