Email from RPRA

Post your club / fed news in here.
Andy

I received the following email from the RPRA. I don’t know whether it was sent to all members or to me as secretary of the Frome club. Whatever doesn’t really matter. It’s good to see though that the RPRA are fighting our corner. Hopefully through the regions they receive the mandate to vote on our behalf and vote against this proposal.

DEFRA wish to consult on the proposed new registration rules which would require all bird keepers to register their birds, update the information annually and the proposal is part of government action to tackle avian influenza. This would apply to all bird keepers in England, Scotland and Wales no matter how many birds they have, where at present only those who keep 50 poultry birds or more are required by law to do so and by registering their birds with the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA), keepers will ensure they receive important updates such as any local avian influenza outbreaks and information on biosecurity rules to help protect their flocks from the threat of avian influenza. This will enable the government to communicate with bird keepers quickly and manage potential disease outbreaks, such as avian influenza to limit the spread. The new rules would cover owners of backyard flocks, birds of prey and pigeon fanciers, but would not affect pet birds kept entirely inside a domestic dwelling, such as a parrot or budgie kept in a cage indoors which never leaves the property other than to visit a vet or another short-term period. In a joint statement the Chief Veterinary Officers from England, Scotland and Wales said: “These proposals will enable us to have a full picture of the number and location of birds kept across Great Britain and make it easier to track and manage the spread of avian disease. This information will also help inform future risk assessments and maintain our commitment to continually building our extensive avian influenza research portfolio.” The consultation proposals take forward the recommendation from the 2018 Dame Glenys Stacey Review and lessons identified from the 2021/2022 highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) H5N1 outbreak and previous HPAI outbreaks. Bird keepers will need to provide information including their contact details, the location where birds are kept and details of the birds (species, number and what they are kept for). A 12-week joint GB wide consultation will run until the 31st of May and is based on a three-tier level of choice from keeping the rules as they are now at 50 birds before registration is required, registration for 10 or more birds or all bird keepers. DEFRA would like to hear your views on their plans and you can do so by going to https://consult.defra.gov.uk/poultry-re ... ation2023/ and they are also seeking your views on the requirement for all bird keepers to update their information on the register annually. The RPRA could register their vote against any change in the rules in a block vote, but I personally do not have the mandate to do so on your behalf, therefore as the regions are due to hold their last meetings before the racing season begins, your club delegates should advise their region secretaries to contact me with your views and I shall vote accordingly, which must be done before the 31st of May. I am sure you would agree the rules should remain as they are now, but I would feel more comfortable if I had your mandate. Documents required for channel racing in 2023 As the racing season approaches it is important to completely understand what is required to present to the veterinary in attendance at the marking stations. There are five documents the vet will ask for before you will be allowed to enter your pigeons and these are: 1. Your CPH number printed. 2. Your proof of registration with a veterinary practice 3. Your loft declaration signed by you. 4. An Attestation form supplied and signed by your veterinary when he visited your loft. 5. An up-to-date vaccination certificate stamped by the veterinary and signed by two club officials. As you can see from the above, regardless of when you obtained your CPH number you will require a vet visit before you can race from the EU in 2023 and you must have them with you before basketing for the first channel race. There is NOT a 12-month period of grace before you are required to have a vet visit. Chris Sutton CEO RPRA
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

All members who have emails registered I believe mate, had another earlier an update have you had that one as well
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:36 pm All members who have emails registered I believe mate, had another earlier an update have you had that one as well
No mate not yet.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:45 pm
Buster121 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:36 pm All members who have emails registered I believe mate, had another earlier an update have you had that one as well
No mate not yet.
Will get it later and put on
Buster121

Pigeon Post

CHANNEL RACING 2023

Documents Required for Channel Racing in 2023

AMENDMENT

TO ITEM 5

10th March 2023

Documents required for channel racing in 2023
As the racing season approaches, it is important to completely understand what is required to present to the veterinarian in attendance at the marking stations. There are five documents the vet will ask for before you will be allowed to enter your pigeons. These are:

Your CPH number, printed.
Your proof of registration with a veterinary practice.
Your loft declaration signed by you.
An Attestation form supplied and signed by your veterinarian when he/she visited your loft.
Copies of all Pigeon Paramyxovirus vaccination certificates, signed by 2 club officials, to confirm that all pigeons in your loft have been vaccinated within the 12 months of the race date.
As you can see from the above, regardless of when you obtained your CPH number, you will require a vet visit before you can race from the EU in 2023, and you must have them with you before basketing for the first channel race. There is NOT a 12-month period of grace before you are required to have a vet visit.

Chris Sutton
CEO
Andy

Thanks Buster. I have no intention of racing over the channel this year so doesn’t pose me a problem. The biggest part that if taken as it reads is the last one. Copies of the vaccination certificates signed by a VET and 2 club members. I’m not sure that a vet would sign these if not present when the birds are vaccinated. Also I know a lot of fanciers who vaccinate their birds themselves and will also vaccinate their youngsters as they wean them so not all done at the same time.
Buster121

Also the way it all reads even folks who do not race still have to register, I wont be so if it means the birds have to go so be it
Andy

I can’t see it happening. But if it does I will have to register. I don’t think it will result in all having to have vet visits because it would mean all birds registered would need one. This wouldn’t only include pigeons it would include all birds. I have customers who only have a couple of chickens and a couple with falcons. These would all have to register and I can’t see them having vet visits or vets wanting to do it.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:33 pm I can’t see it happening. But if it does I will have to register. I don’t think it will result in all having to have vet visits because it would mean all birds registered would need one. This wouldn’t only include pigeons it would include all birds. I have customers who only have a couple of chickens and a couple with falcons. These would all have to register and I can’t see them having vet visits or vets wanting to do it.
That is exactly what they are saying mate register regardless of how many or what type birds you have even budgies and canaries
Andy

It looks like they have 3 options. 1/ to keep it as it is with only people keeping 50 or more poultry having to register. 2/ those keeping 10 or more birds needing to register. Or 3/ Anyone keeping any birds at all having to register.
Registration would have to be done every year with updated numbers.