Worming.

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Murray

A question for the members.

With my birds spending a fair bit of time, (maybe too much time), poking around in the garden, I do like to treat them for worms from time to time. Because I had some later bred babies that are just flying now, the big ones are well into the moult.

I am of two minds about worming pigeons when they are moulting. Is it a likely it could give them a check in the moult? They are flying through the moult at present and I don't want to do anything to upset it.

What are your thoughts?
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Andy

Murray wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:01 pm A question for the members.

With my birds spending a fair bit of time, (maybe too much time), poking around in the garden, I do like to treat them for worms from time to time. Because I had some later bred babies that are just flying now, the big ones are well into the moult.

I am of two minds about worming pigeons when they are moulting. Is it a likely it could give them a check in the moult? They are flying through the moult at present and I don't want to do anything to upset it.

What are your thoughts?
I wouldn’t have thought it would check the moult at all. I don’t see why it would. But I’m probably not the best person to ask as I can’t remember the last time I treated for worms myself.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

I would treat them for worms myself, there is so much stress going on what we can not see. More stress on the birds with worms, they will be ok, just give multi vits after worming.
Buster121

What are your thoughts?
If I was to worm mine, which I did while going through moult I would use moxidectin as that one is safe to use in moult, although they recommend not to use anything at all during moult
Murray

I have put the wormer in the drinkers, and yes, it is moxidectin.
I am getting some Ivermectin soon so I will re do them. I have been using the horse drench for several years and it's time for a change, as they say the worms get resistant to one medication all the time.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Trecatty

Buster121 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:05 am

What are your thoughts?
If I was to worm mine, which I did while going through moult I would use moxidectin as that one is safe to use in moult, although they recommend not to use anything at all during moult
Who recommends not to worm during the moult? Is there a scientific base for this? or is it fancier's myths?
Buster121

Trecatty wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:53 pm
Buster121 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:05 am

What are your thoughts?
Who recommends not to worm during the moult? Is there a scientific base for this? or is it fancier's myths?
Hi and welcome to the site

Yes it affects feathering causing fret marks, any manufacturer states not to use when birds in moult on bottles etc
Andy

Welcome to the site Trecatty. I must say that I can’t remember the last time I wormed mine. Probably back in the 80s. All I use now is garlic and apple cider vinegar.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
George and Morgan

have never done mine
Trecatty

Thanks for the replies, I use Moxi 3 or 4 times a year, including at times in September. I have to say I've never seen frets.
I used to worm using various wormers,advertised in the pigeon mags and never saw any worms after worming. The first time I used Moxi, the worms in the droppings were incredible, never seen anything like it.