Pedigrees

Post your topics on breeding or family of pigeons here.
Murray

Murray wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:07 am The pedigree of the mother and father of the grizzle Thone' cock.

It doesn't mean he is a good one or will breed good ones, but it does indicate that his family are capable of racing at National and International level. It has to be a bit easier to produce good ones from a strain that throws good ones.
008.JPG
009.JPG
004.JPG

The grizzle doesnt like having his picture taken.
This is a better picture. :D
016.JPG
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

Nice looking pigeon and good pedigrees but honestly not knocking them in the slightest the parents, grandparents and most of the great grandparents have no records of any racing themselves! They are half brothers too, half sisters too, granddam bred, grand sire is out of etc. This is what I mean by your own pedigrees are better in that you know the good and the bad. Also as I have already said in my post on breeding dairy cattle only a small percentage of offspring are actually very good even from the best.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Andy

What I am saying Murray is that I would rather have youngsters out of the 600 mile hen you have who although is basically a stray to you and you know little about her pedigree she has proven that she is capable of flying 600 miles than out of a pigeon with a wonderful pedigree of pigeons that won big raced 15/20 years ago. The other thing I would say about some of these big national/international winners is, have they done anything else or were they just in the right place at the right time and in favourable conditions on that day. If the race had been the following day they probably wouldn’t have won. If you look at many of the big races there are pigeons down the results that have probably done much better on the day but things have been against them. Wind direction not quite right, the drag going in a different direction etc. There are so many things that need to be taken into consideration and to really evaluate a pigeon you need to know the complete history of that pigeon and not just the good points written down on a piece of paper.
Murray

I understand what you are saying, Andy, and I agree to a point.
The flash pedigrees are all well and good, so long as the pigeons are still racing well now. In the case of the white flight Thone' boy, that family are winning in Australia right now. Mated to a proven distance pigeon like the 600 mile hen, I am hopeful of getting something.
Pieces of paper don't win races, I agree.
Andy

I hope they cross well for you Murray. I would probably be looking for the best son of the 600 mile hen to pair back to her.
Murray

003.JPG
Then there's the red boys
Andy

I’ve always liked reds. 👍
Murray

These are Jos Thone' pigeons off pigeons which were the very very best, a decade ago.
A bloke bought a very old pair of pigeons, which were thought to be too old. The hen laid, we put them under Gordon, and we got 2 red cock birds! :D
The deal was one each. I still have both of them here. ;)
I bred some youngsters off them last year. They weren't much good.
I have bred a few rounds off the same pigeons this year, fantastic! I do have serious reservations about breeding from young pigeons.
Andy

Murray wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:51 am These are Jos Thone' pigeons off pigeons which were the very very best, a decade ago.
A bloke bought a very old pair of pigeons, which were thought to be too old. The hen laid, we put them under Gordon, and we got 2 red cock birds! :D
The deal was one each. I still have both of them here. ;)
I bred some youngsters off them last year. They weren't much good.
I have bred a few rounds off the same pigeons this year, fantastic! I do have serious reservations about breeding from young pigeons.
What makes you doubt young pigeons for breeding Murray?
Buster121

He looks a picture Murray