Deep litter

Topics relating to construction or maintenance of your loft, boxes and pigeon equipment
Buster121

Andy wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:47 pm
Buster121 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:00 pm Looks dry enough, how do you clean them out, sieve it or leave it a while
What I’ll probably do is scrape the perches but leave the floor. I think if it works as I think it should the litter should take out all the moisture from the droppings leaving just very dry droppings that disintegrate into the deep litter. I may rake the top off if it gets a crust on it and top the litter up from time to time. As I said I think I need to put a bit more in first.
I have been into Phil’s loft where he has had the same deep litter down for 4 years. To be honest you wouldn’t know it when walking on it. It is bone dry.
5 years wow that's good going
Trev

Deep litter is definitely something I'm going to have to look into, I can't stand the loft being as wet as it is 😔😕
Andy

4 days on it still looks as though I’ve just done it. The pellets do tend to move to the edges but it’s just a case of moving them back into the middle of the loft. The pellets are mainly still pellets. That would lead me to believe that the loft is bone dry.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Trev

Andy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:32 pm 4 days on it still looks as though I’ve just done it. The pellets do tend to move to the edges but it’s just a case of moving them back into the middle of the loft. The pellets are mainly still pellets. That would lead me to believe that the loft is bone dry.
How many bags have you used Andy ??? I did see a you tune clip of someone using pellets as deep litter.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:32 pm 4 days on it still looks as though I’ve just done it. The pellets do tend to move to the edges but it’s just a case of moving them back into the middle of the loft. The pellets are mainly still pellets. That would lead me to believe that the loft is bone dry.
Good
Andy

Trev wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:39 pm
How many bags have you used Andy ??? I did see a you tune clip of someone using pellets as deep litter.
Just used one 30L bag at present. That loft is 8 foot x 6 foot. I probably could do with adding about another half a bag. I will probably do the other loft as well. I may just use it during the winter while it’s to dark to scrape out twice a day but will see how it goes.
Murray

Trev wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:19 pm Deep litter is definitely something I'm going to have to look into, I can't stand the loft being as wet as it is 😔😕
Be careful putting anything organic on a wet floor, Trev. If it gets damp and starts breaking down you might have a good brew of bacteria for them to poke around in. :o
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

Murray wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:11 am
Trev wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:19 pm Deep litter is definitely something I'm going to have to look into, I can't stand the loft being as wet as it is 😔😕
Be careful putting anything organic on a wet floor, Trev. If it gets damp and starts breaking down you might have a good brew of bacteria for them to poke around in. :o
I did put some loft powder down first in mine but yes my loft is dry anyway, apart from when they knock the top off the drinkers and have a bath in them lol. Which was why I ended up putting the litter down. I do get your point though Murray. The wood cat pellets are very absorbent and are even good on oil spills.
CHARLTON34

Afternoon everyone, I've tried easybed, eucalyptus, all a bit dusty when changed so I've tried these it's a horse bedding Strawmax, it's in pellet form when it gets damp or soaks up moisture etc it breaks down maybe like the cat pellets.
I'm well pleased with this at the moment I can pick up the clumps of dropping & just give it a rake over.
Regards Dave.
Trev

CHARLTON34 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:25 pm Afternoon everyone, I've tried easybed, eucalyptus, all a bit dusty when changed so I've tried these it's a horse bedding Strawmax, it's in pellet form when it gets damp or soaks up moisture etc it breaks down maybe like the cat pellets.
I'm well pleased with this at the moment I can pick up the clumps of dropping & just give it a rake over.
Regards Dave.
I've started using the same this year, I was using cat litter pellets, they worked well too but the strawmax is a lot cheaper. I do also use a loft dressing once a week when I clean out, at the moment I'm using Harkers Loft Treatment.
All the best