Getting the right nutrition fed.

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Devo1956

There are many different feed methods used in the world of racing pigeons, heath and feeding is paramount 365 days a year. Sorry no days off even if you are sick, the birds need you so just get on with it. So there are so many different feeds on the market, and many different prices you will pay. Please remember you will only get what you pay for.so pick the right quality feed you can afford.

Over the years, i have seen to many different products in the racing pigeon world. Maybe you have to when you go the shows, or pick up the racing pigeon magazine. Or maybe on the internet which is a very good tool to find what you want. So when we talk about good feeds, if i had 10 members sitting in a room, they would all differ on what is best, and rightly so. Its all down to choice of what works best for your birds.

Here is a product we all know, but what are your thoughts. Please give feedback to help others and new members. Thank you for your time.

https://vanderl.co.uk/product/super-pig ... er-12-5kg/
Andy

As you say Dev a lot of different feeds on the market and nutritionally not that much between them. Some high in legumes, some with no maize, some with lots of maize. Some with barley some without. A lot of it is down to the fanciers choice.
The conditioner mixes are nice and contain a lot of oil grains. Aniseed, linseed, hemp etc. I usually use a bit of conditioner in my feed.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Trev

How right you are Devo feeding has certainly changed over the years, I do believe that a lot of these fancy feeds are just a licence to print money for some of the feed merchants and that many of the fancy seeds really add nothing more to the mix than exspense. Feeding really is a mine field for the new fanciers with so many different mixes and brands, as you say it's all about quality, clean corn and how you feed it.
Bartholomews have recently reduced the amount of different Gem mixes they are manufacturing as it's just not viable for them to have so many in production.
I haven't used that particular conditioning mix but do use the Gem trapping and conditioning mix at least twice a week.
Murray

I agree with devo that feeding is a 365 day task, and the birds need to have a diet that isn't constantly changing.Find a corn that suit, and stick to it. As you know I have a basic mixture which every bird eats every day. But I can add a bit of extra when needed.
At present the youngsters are going into the moult and growing at the same time. They were getting hungry. So I have added some extra peas and maize to up the energy in the mix, and increased the amount they get.
Just a small adjustment, but they are happy now.
I always think what you are feeding is important, but how you are feeding it is more important.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Devo1956

We have a 4 seasons when we look at feeding our racing birds, so it is important to feed the right nutrition to each season. we have Racing, resting , moulting, breeding. If we look at the different stages of each season there is a great need to be selective on how we feed. The main thing is feed what they need, less stress the bird and owner come out best. Fresh corn daily is aim for good feeding, for good nutrition.
Andy

I feed the same mix all year round. Versa Laga all round mix. I just adjust the amount fed and add a few peanuts and hearts as a tit bit and for the distance.
Murray

Devo1956 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:30 am We have a 4 seasons when we look at feeding our racing birds, so it is important to feed the right nutrition to each season. we have Racing, resting , moulting, breeding. If we look at the different stages of each season there is a great need to be selective on how we feed. The main thing is feed what they need, less stress the bird and owner come out best. Fresh corn daily is aim for good feeding, for good nutrition.
Once again we agree, devo. I feed twice a day, in trays on the floor, and any leftover is taken away. They have fresh feed out of the bin at each meal. The nest box pigeons are fed in bowls on their boxes. Some extra peas when feeding babies, a little extra in the tray when they are moulting, its all about thinking what the pigeons need.
Trev

I have tried a few different mixes since starting up again, I have messed about mixing feeds but will feed the same mix all year round.
As I've said before when we were kids most fanciers bought their corn straight off the farms and fed fed 4 seeds which were tic beans, wheat and maize during the breeding and racing seasons and that would change to tic beans, barley and maize during the moult and winter. It's far too complicated and money driven these days.
Andy

When feeding our top yield herd of cows they were fed the same ration throughout the whole of the lactation from the day they calved up until the day they were dried off. The only thing that changed was the amount that each cow would eat depending on stage of lactation and yield. Before working with this herd I used to change the feed as their yield dropped. This resulted in yields dropping quicker with lower annual yields.
I know this has nothing to do with racing pigeons, but I use my experiences of nutrition over the years with how I look at what the pigeons require.
Murray

Andy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:19 pm When feeding our top yield herd of cows they were fed the same ration throughout the whole of the lactation from the day they calved up until the day they were dried off. The only thing that changed was the amount that each cow would eat depending on stage of lactation and yield. Before working with this herd I used to change the feed as their yield dropped. This resulted in yields dropping quicker with lower annual yields.
I know this has nothing to do with racing pigeons, but I use my experiences of nutrition over the years with how I look at what the pigeons require.
You say that your experience with nutrition in dairy cattle has nothing to do with racing pigeons. I would dare to disagree. You were responsible for putting the maximum quantity of milk solids in the tanker every day. You were obviously very good at it.
I also bring skills from other industries to the sport.
We have different backgrounds, but one common goal.