Getting the right nutrition fed.

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Trev

I do get through alot of Gem Matrix (grit and minerals) this time of year too as the birds go mad for it.
Murray

I do too, when they are breeding they go through pounds and pounds of grit. Then go outside and eat dirt and who knows what. they instinctively know what they need.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Buster121

Trev wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:12 pm I do get through alot of Gem Matrix (grit and minerals) this time of year too as the birds go mad for it.
I use the redstone grit along with black and pink minerals
Andy

I must admit that I’m not very good with grit and minerals. I do have a bag of grit and put some down when I think about it. I’m not even sure that I have any minerals. I used to feed them more when I could get them through my wholesalers but they don’t do it anymore.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

I feed a little grit fresh everyday. I have a little plastic bucket and a scoop, and put a spoonful in each nest box and several spoonsful on the floor. under the boards along the wall.
The grit attracts dust and after a couple of days they will turn their noses up at it.
It's better fresh and It's part of my daily routine like fresh water.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:02 pm I must admit that I’m not very good with grit and minerals. I do have a bag of grit and put some down when I think about it. I’m not even sure that I have any minerals. I used to feed them more when I could get them through my wholesalers but they don’t do it anymore.
I used to pay about £9 for a 25kg bag now it is £20 for the same thing
Murray

I am finding the same thing here, I was paying Au$24 for a 20 kilo bag of the shell grit with minerals, then $26 then $28 and last time it was $31.50. All in about 6 months.
The price of grain has not gone up much in the last year or so, probably because there have been excellent harvests in many parts of Australia. Wholesale grain prices are stable. But I expect feed to start going up as the flow on effect of fuel prices starts to hit.
Andy

Corn prices have certainly gone up quite a bit here. Things seem to have now stabilised. Sunflower hearts in particular shot up with the war in Ukraine as a large percentage of the worlds supply is grown in Ukraine. It has actually dropped by a pound for a 20kg bag this week. Down from £45 to £44.
Murray

Andy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:51 am Corn prices have certainly gone up quite a bit here. Things seem to have now stabilised. Sunflower hearts in particular shot up with the war in Ukraine as a large percentage of the worlds supply is grown in Ukraine. It has actually dropped by a pound for a 20kg bag this week. Down from £45 to £44.
You say the first races for you are just 35 miles. Blink and you miss it.
Will you change the feed to get them bit more on their toes and keen, or just stick with the normal mix?
Andy

Murray wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:42 pm
Andy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:51 am Corn prices have certainly gone up quite a bit here. Things seem to have now stabilised. Sunflower hearts in particular shot up with the war in Ukraine as a large percentage of the worlds supply is grown in Ukraine. It has actually dropped by a pound for a 20kg bag this week. Down from £45 to £44.
You say the first races for you are just 35 miles. Blink and you miss it.
Will you change the feed to get them bit more on their toes and keen, or just stick with the normal mix?
Just sticking with the normal mix Murray. By the first race they will nearly all be feeding at least 1 youngster around 10 days old so will have to only send one of a pair. I’m not worried about coming anywhere in the club races. Any results will be a bonus. My main races are still the distance races. This year Hexham for the yearlings at 289 miles and Thurso for the older ones at 523 miles. The club races are just for a bit of experience.