Young birds, yearlings and old birds.

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Andy

George and Morgan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:37 pm i was talking on pigeon racing not your birds
I agree George sorry. The Lerwick race was a disaster. No birds on the day even at the 400 mile point. Under a 100 recorded from the 1100 sent by the end of the third day. The Bordeaux international I thought may have been a bit better and there were 40 clocked on the day some just short of 500 miles. The biggest barrier for us in the internationals is that ours are flying into a darkening sky and have the channel to cross late in the race. And for us in particular over this side of the country we have the biggest stretch of water to cross if coming direct and our would have to break well before the French coast. The Dutch and Belgium birds have it so much easier. Generally got the advantage of the wind, flying over flat ground with no water to cross. They also tend to fly more into the night, maybe because of street lighting I don’t know.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

You explain a lot, there. It is true that the Dutch/ Belgian pigeons fly all the way over land, while yours have to fly over the water after many hours on the wing.

Not to say the top European pigeons are not absolutely outstanding, because they are, but they have been selected on different criteria for many years.

From were I am looking, anyone who can get a pigeon to fly from Barcelona into the west of England has done a brilliant job, And has a very high class pigeon, too.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

On a slightly different point on distance racing and the breeding what are members thoughts on what percentage of youngsters bred each year should be good enough to compete in races over 500 miles? I know breeding from proven birds will increase this percentage.
George and Morgan

most pair me included a racer to a unraced bird be it any distance the large studs do this with a champion to a sister or brother of a champion both un raced i'm not sure the percentage Andy but unless the unraced bird is a proven breeder it's just a lottery i'm moving towards both pairs must have been raced
George and Morgan

i think the NFC birds are up 6'30 good luck will be interesting to see if any day birds over 500mls at least for the yearly stud books
Andy

George and Morgan wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:42 am i think the NFC birds are up 6'30 good luck will be interesting to see if any day birds over 500mls at least for the yearly stud books
It’s not the NFC George. They have joined with the BICC, BBC & CSCFC racing from St Philbert. They are due to go tomorrow. Around 5,500 birds on transporter. There won’t be many though that will be flying over 500 miles. It would be 274 to me.
George and Morgan

sorry it's the Kings cup up 6'00
George and Morgan

Andy think the Kings cup race yesterday was the Northern Ireland national think first 4 birds were yearlings never over the water before 2nd bird flying over 16 hrs sorry not able to copy from pigeonchat but will try no can't copy race was won by Gordon bros
George and Morgan

just had a pm from chap who took down result last night would seem there is a right cock up over the result
George and Morgan

George and Morgan wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:11 am just had a pm from chap who took down result last night would seem there is a right cock up over the result
something has gone wrong first 4 birds last night have been removed