Weaned my first few youngsters today.

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Andy

Today I weaned the first of my youngsters. I weaned 9 initially but didn’t like one of them. This was a young red grizzle. A lot of the feathers in the tail, wing and even across it’s back were still very piped where they hadn’t broken out of the sheaths properly. It also had a lump on the side of it’s face. To start with I was going to leave it in the nest for a few more days, then decided to wean it and see how it made up. In the end though I thought what’s the point, it was obvious it wasn’t going to be any good so I got rid of it.
These are the ones weaned.
0774DEC9-8607-4BC5-908A-891C78D9CCD3.jpeg
D0BEA246-C36A-4263-860E-54CA5753EDE0.jpeg
BC840998-DA69-4C8E-B559-B95B78FE05DF.jpeg
The old hen in the last photo is the one that was hawked. She is getting up into the top perches ok but when put in with the old birds she just get’s chased by the cocks and she still has quite a bad limp. I will leave her in with the youngsters for now.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
George and Morgan

ybs look great Andy like me blue and checkers no reds lol and a grizzle just hope mine are not to far on the wing by Thursday how many more ybs have you i have 4 which will be staying and will breed 2 more off the broken wing hen
Murray

They look great, Andy, lovely bunch of youngsters.
Best place for that hen. She can have some peace and recover at her own speed.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Buster121

Very nice bunch there Andy
Andy

George and Morgan wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:36 pm ybs look great Andy like me blue and checkers no reds lol and a grizzle just hope mine are not to far on the wing by Thursday how many more ybs have you i have 4 which will be staying and will breed 2 more off the broken wing hen
I’ve got another 6 to wean over the next week. 2 more to ring tomorrow. Then have more eggs to hatch.
Trev

Looking nice Andy, I like the blue checker and pencil blue front left in pic two, also like the Grizzle. It's a shame about the other grizzle but as you say if it's not right now then it probably never will be. As Muzza says your old hen is much better off in there with the babies.
Trev

The first 2 of the 4 youngsters from me hatched today, the others should hatch by mid week.
Andy

Trev wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:32 pm The first 2 of the 4 youngsters from me hatched today, the others should hatch by mid week.
That’s good Trev. Are they down at mums Trev?
Trev

Andy wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:40 pm
Trev wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:32 pm The first 2 of the 4 youngsters from me hatched today, the others should hatch by mid week.
That’s good Trev. Are they down at mums Trev?
Yes Andy they are 👍
Andy

Looking at the second photo. The pencil blue and the dark blue on the right are from a pair from Potter. The blue and the blue chequer at the back are out of Pete’s muzzabella and a cock from John & Ben. The 2 darker blue chequers are from the stock loft. The dark chequer’s sire is out of a cock from Devo and a hen from Pete, and the dam is from a cock from magic and a hen from Devo. The grizzle is out of an old cock of mine and the grizzle hen from George. It is the nestmate to the one I disposed of. Not entirely surprised as neither of these have bred anything much even though they are 6 & 5 years old. A couple of old favourites though lol.
The weaned youngsters are very nice though.