Vegetables

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Trev

George and Morgan wrote: ↑Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:29 am have you tried the cress Trev
I have tried cress George and the birds didn't touch it, funny thing is that the chickens didn't either and they usually eat anything lol. I used to buy round lettuce and give them one of those once a week which they did go mad for, the local supermarket has now substituted them with butterhead lettuce which they won't touch πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”
Trev

George and Morgan wrote: ↑Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:59 am the problem i have with veg is were they come from if i was growing my own yes but not from the shops cress is different it has nothing sprayed on it
I do agree George but being involved in farming I also know that the general public can be easily put off almost anything by the rubbish that the media and these so called save the planet do gooders print. Yes pesticides are used but in most cases stringent hygiene checks have to be adhered to so there is very little to no risk to any of us being harmed by what we eat especially if its grown in the UK, I can't answer for the imported produce though !!!!
Trev

Murray wrote: ↑Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:53 am
George and Morgan wrote: ↑Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:29 am have you tried the cress Trev
Yep George, I recall Trevor saying that he had given them cress in the past.
This is a bit of an improvement on that idea.
Carrots have lots of carotine, ( vitamin A), celery provides B group vitamins and vitamin C and potassium etc.
Fresh vegetables of different types and colours can provide every nutrient required for good health.
Of course a balanced grain diet, with many grain varieties can provide most of them.
My thought is, if I can fill any gaps in their diet with a carrot and a kale leaf, and give them some enjoyment witha bit of fresh food, well, why not. :D
I always used to feed beetroot blended with whole meal bread and the birds loved it, beetroot is great natural source of iodine amongst other vitamins/minerals, it is trace elements like iodine that you will struggle to find in grains & legumes alone.
I've struggled to get the birds to eat though this time around but having mixed it with a few other veggies they have eaten it this week, I'll try them with it again the weekend.
Andy

Trev wrote: ↑Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:56 pm
I have tried cress George and the birds didn't touch it, funny thing is that the chickens didn't either and they usually eat anything lol. I used to buy round lettuce and give them one of those once a week which they did go mad for, the local supermarket has now substituted them with butterhead lettuce which they won't touch πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”
My birds do go made for the cress.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Trev

Andy wrote: ↑Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:18 pm
Trev wrote: ↑Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:56 pm
My birds do go made for the cress.
Other people have said the same Andy but mine just aren't interested πŸ€”πŸ€”
Murray

My darling wife did the shopping today.
When I got home she told me that she had bought some pumpkin for the pigeons, some more celery, because that stuff is getting a bit old, some nice carrots, and there will be fresh kale tomorrow.
My wife is not interested in the pigeons, but she understands my interest in nutrition.
Besides, she knows it makes me happy. :D :D
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Murray

Beetroot..
Trev mentioned beetroot.
I asked my wife if we had some?
:D
I will add some tomorrow.
Andy

You’ll have vegetarian pigeons soon Murray. πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜†
Murray

But not Vegan, Andy, :lol:
They get a fish oil capsule squeezed on the grain a couple of times a week, :D
Andy

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†