Vegetables

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Trev

I actually remembered to buy a few extra veggies yesterday for the pigeons 👍😀
Tomorrow I'll be blending them all up and see what the birds think of them, now they are feeding babies they are definitely looking for something extra.
Murray

Trev, be aware it might take a few tries for them to really take to the veggies. It's something new.
Mine love then so much now that I have to make two batches.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
George and Morgan

only ever feed cress
Andy

I feed cress too George.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

I only fed spinach, for years and years. I can't quite recall what gave me idea to try feeding mixed vegetables chopped up in the blender. I may have read about it.
Anyway, for the last 10 years or so, I have put whatever veggies are on hand, except cabbage and onions, in a blender once a week.
The birds are very keen on it. It offers vitamins and minerals which may be missing from a grain diet, and it is fresh green feed! Living on a diet of dry grains and dry grit, they do very well. But the offer of fresh chopped vegetables is much appreciated. :D
Trev

I blended up a bit of carrott, beetroot, spring onion and lettuce on Sunday. I gave it to the birds in the morning and by the evening they hadn't touched it, I left it in the loft on Monday and by the evening they had pecked it about a bit, by the end of Tuesday there was next to nothing left 👍😀 I'll try them with a bit more at the weekend and add a bit more green stuff to the mix.
George and Morgan

have you tried the cress Trev
Murray

George and Morgan wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:29 am have you tried the cress Trev
Yep George, I recall Trevor saying that he had given them cress in the past.
This is a bit of an improvement on that idea.
Carrots have lots of carotine, ( vitamin A), celery provides B group vitamins and vitamin C and potassium etc.
Fresh vegetables of different types and colours can provide every nutrient required for good health.
Of course a balanced grain diet, with many grain varieties can provide most of them.
My thought is, if I can fill any gaps in their diet with a carrot and a kale leaf, and give them some enjoyment witha bit of fresh food, well, why not. :D
George and Morgan

the problem i have with veg is were they come from if i was growing my own yes but not from the shops cress is different it has nothing sprayed on it
Murray

I hear what you are saying, George.
In Australia there are very stringent rules about what can be sprayed on food for human consumption. And they enforce them, too.
If there are similar regulations in the UK, I would not be too worried.
I do understand where you are coming from, if a food isn't good enough for me, it isn't good enough for my pigeons.