Recovery from racing

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Devo1956

It is best if birds are given the opportunity to fly the day after the race. They should be let out but not forced to fly. This gives them an opportunity to stretch their wings and to relieve any muscle stiffness. A bath is also a good idea, and some fliers like to warm this. But what are members thoughts on this subject?
MIL

In the past I would have agreed George, but the finest way to prepare your pigeons for ther forthcoming race is to ensure the birds have recovered as quickly and as efficently as possible from the previous race. To me this means that Sunday is now "a day of rest" and they start in earnest again on Monday

Performance is a finely tuned balance of work and rest

Knowing when to turn the screw and knowing when to ease off is an art that's mastered by some very shrewd fanciers
Devo1956

MIL wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:59 am In the past I would have agreed George, but the finest way to prepare your pigeons for ther forthcoming race is to ensure the birds have recovered as quickly and as efficently as possible from the previous race. To me this means that Sunday is now "a day of rest" and they start in earnest again on Monday

Performance is a finely tuned balance of work and rest

Knowing when to turn the screw and knowing when to ease off is an art that's mastered by some very shrewd fanciers
Mike this is just a makeup question to get the forum going, My own views i would keep birds in and observe, also give them the amino acids and vits to help recovery.. Thank you for a great answer.
MIL

Yes of course

All roads lead to Rome, but that's the way I would operate personally

I also liked to bathe them on a Thurs night (ideally)

Below is an example of Phil's droppings this morning from cocks raced yesterday

Their recovery looks good to me

b09259b9-7b7b-4139-a941-2fd514219163.jpeg
Devo1956

Very good indeed, i would say many lofts would like their loft like that this morning.
MIL

Thanks George

The birds get this on Saturday & Sunday - I like it and the birds seem well on it

https://pigeonvitality.com/product/improver/
NeilA

Devo1956 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:33 am It is best if birds are given the opportunity to fly the day after the race. They should be let out but not forced to fly. This gives them an opportunity to stretch their wings and to relieve any muscle stiffness. A bath is also a good idea, and some fliers like to warm this. But what are members thoughts on this subject?
My old birds only go out Tuesday Wednesday Thursday for 1 hour so mine get 2 days rest
Devo1956

MIL wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:37 am Thanks George

The birds get this on Saturday & Sunday - I like it and the birds seem well on it

https://pigeonvitality.com/product/improver/
Very good product, it says it on the tin.
NeilA

When mine come home they get energy high fat mix with gemthepax and chicken pellets and mixed grit
Tollison in the water
Sunday Monday improver this year as Mike told me to try it I don’t even know what’s in it 😂
king

Rest is the best thing a pigeon can have after a race, but every pigeon is different. I always let mine out the day after a race and put a bath out for them. Some birds just came out of the loft and straight to the bath others went for a fly. I've had birds fly up to 13 hours and after 30 mins it's hard to tell they had even been with handling them.
The speed a bird recovers is a great indicator of health. I very much doubt a sprint bird would need to have a days rest after a race?