Compass training

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

I was taught by a fantastic flyer you need your team to be driving the batch home like a train if there middle or back there going where the driving batch is going, that's how u get the big drops 75 to 90 percent of team on drop race day.
Andy

Anthony webster wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:55 am I was taught by a fantastic flyer you need your team to be driving the batch home like a train if there middle or back there going where the driving batch is going, that's how u get the big drops 75 to 90 percent of team on drop race day.
You would never get those sort of drops in our combine. Even the best fanciers don’t get big percentage drops. Yes they get drops of 10+ birds but these are fanciers sending 50+. Also how many of the ones that drop with the leading bunch to a fancier have just followed their loft mates. I remember one difficult young bird race last year where one of our members who had been having big drops and taking a lot of the top positions before this race had 3 I think it was drop together but then had to wait an hour before getting another one. In that time I had got most of mine.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
MIL

Here's an image of the super Gordon Bros & sons training their birds via GPS

They have to navigate mountains and Strangford Lough to get home

Consider that they hold various records in the NIPA and EDC you'll see these birds conducting a 20 miles training toss in a pretty straight line.
c13c78ce-08b0-4893-b692-6984cd6a73d5.jpeg
NeilA

MIL wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:20 am Here's an image of the super Gordon Bros & sons training their birds via GPS

They have to navigate mountains and Strangford Lough to get home

Consider that they hold various records in the NIPA and EDC you'll see these birds conducting a 20 miles training toss in a pretty straight line.

c13c78ce-08b0-4893-b692-6984cd6a73d5.jpeg
Excellent example just shows it can be done by top fanciers and the right pigeons
Anthony webster
Great Britain

Andy wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:15 am
Anthony webster wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:55 am I was taught by a fantastic flyer you need your team to be driving the batch home like a train if there middle or back there going where the driving batch is going, that's how u get the big drops 75 to 90 percent of team on drop race day.
You would never get those sort of drops in our combine. Even the best fanciers don’t get big percentage drops. Yes they get drops of 10+ birds but these are fanciers sending 50+. Also how many of the ones that drop with the leading bunch to a fancier have just followed their loft mates. I remember one difficult young bird race last year where one of our members who had been having big drops and taking a lot of the top positions before this race had 3 I think it was drop together but then had to wait an hour before getting another one. In that time I had got most of mine.
In the tighter south Rd fed I can drop 75 percent regularly but on North Rd where is 100 miles by 50 miles minimum iv dropped 50 percent but most weeks it would be 10 to 20 percent on drop.
Steve Howells

Andy wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:15 am
Absolutely right Andy, the bigger the area the fed covers and the further they go the less likely it is you'll get a big percentage drop. The job of the fancier to get the best out of them for the situation you race in.
NeilA

When does multi drops become harder what kind of width would that be when fanciers shouldn’t get say 30 drop together
MIL

The further you go the harder it is to get the multiple drops

One of Gary & Niall Gordon's best performances and best "team performnces" came from the NIPA Tullamore race (120 miles)

They sent 68 – and had 25 drop together

At Section level there were 370 birds away. They take the first 29 places and 31st Section.

At Open level 277 members sent 6,528 birds and win the following

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th, 28th, 32nd, 33rd, 36th and 40th

That’s THE TOP 25 PLACES with 277 members sending 6,528 birds!

Gary will always maintain its around that 120 mile marker where he feels he can get the maximum drop

At 190 miles he's had 14 drop together in a NE wind - that's his best achievement at that distance
wynands56

always compassed trained