Selection Criteria

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Trev

I was told many years ago that "A Man who thinks he knows everything, learns nothing" something I have always tried to live by.
Being part of a strong and very social pigeon club once again, I've had numerous conversations with some very good fliers, one of the topics was on selection. We all have our ways of deciding what has to go and what stays, even if like me, you are too soft and just keep building bigger sheds to house all those birds you can't get rid of lol :lol:
Since starting up with birds again in 2016 I have once again ended up with far too many birds and don't have the space to keep doing that so each year some birds sadly do have to move on. They do however need to be really useless or not in the best of health for me to make that decision, I'd rather lose them on the road where possible.
Now one members methods of selection struck me as being such a simple yet clever idea. All he does is score every bird in his race team with the position they arrive from each race they have, at the end of the season he will add all these points together and divide it by the amount of races they've had, this becomes their score. The 20 birds with the lowest score will go back in the race loft, everything else goes.
Now bearing in mind, this member will often take the first half a dozen or more positions in the club and federation, and that many of these birds would have won themselves if not for loft mates and often just a quicker trap, a lot of the birds he gets rid of each year are still better than the best many of us have in entire lofts :shock: :shock: He won't sell his birds but does like to help the novice, or like me, someone who is just looking to improve their own stock so will try to find homes for these birds where he can.
I applied the same method to my own team last season and the results are very useful, both in selecting which my better racers should be and who my better breeders potentially are too. I've still not managed to move many on though so will have a large race team again :lol: but it has definitely helped me be more selective with my breeding.
So I'm interested in hearing what others do :?: :?:
Buster121

Trev wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:05 am I was told many years ago that "A Man who thinks he knows everything, learns nothing" something I have always tried to live by.
Being part of a strong and very social pigeon club once again, I've had numerous conversations with some very good fliers, one of the topics was on selection. We all have our ways of deciding what has to go and what stays, even if like me, you are too soft and just keep building bigger sheds to house all those birds you can't get rid of lol :lol:
Since starting up with birds again in 2016 I have once again ended up with far too many birds and don't have the space to keep doing that so each year some birds sadly do have to move on. They do however need to be really useless or not in the best of health for me to make that decision, I'd rather lose them on the road where possible.
Now one members methods of selection struck me as being such a simple yet clever idea. All he does is score every bird in his race team with the position they arrive from each race they have, at the end of the season he will add all these points together and divide it by the amount of races they've had, this becomes their score. The 20 birds with the lowest score will go back in the race loft, everything else goes.
Now bearing in mind, this member will often take the first half a dozen or more positions in the club and federation, and that many of these birds would have won themselves if not for loft mates and often just a quicker trap, a lot of the birds he gets rid of each year are still better than the best many of us have in entire lofts :shock: :shock: He won't sell his birds but does like to help the novice, or like me, someone who is just looking to improve their own stock so will try to find homes for these birds where he can.
I applied the same method to my own team last season and the results are very useful, both in selecting which my better racers should be and who my better breeders potentially are too. I've still not managed to move many on though so will have a large race team again :lol: but it has definitely helped me be more selective with my breeding.
So I'm interested in hearing what others do :?: :?:
I know someone who sends minimum 80 birds a week and anything not scored by yearling age are gone
Albert

Pigeon racing in it's self, selects the birds, especially if you race to 500+miles, I myself don't have a large team, due to every bird being raced to the distance. That's why the farm yards have plenty of pigeons going about them, plus what we lose to the B.O.P. This works for me, and keeps pigeon racing at an affordable level.
Murray

It's a bit different where I live.
When we first moved to Bendigo I was immediately drawn to racing pigeons flying not very far away. I soon found the loft and was warmly welcomed. The bloke was to become a good friend. Sadly he no longer has pigeons.
He showed me his pigeons, and I recall being given a hen to handle, and being told, " That flew 400 miles! :D ".
I was thinking "?".
Back in New Zealand I would send the old cocks 400 miles when they were a yard too slow to keep up with the young boys. Of course they flew 400 miles. The question was, did they get a top placing, preferably a first placing?
It's different here,
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

I am going to start getting harder again with mine. When I was doing well and had a good team of raced pigeons I only kept the cocks that had won at least a 3rd club, we had a strong club back in those days. I raced widowhood back then. The criteria with the hens was that they had to have bred the birds to take the club positions. Of course that would be a criteria at the end of the yearling stage with the cocks and 2 year olds with the hens.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

I try to select birds that hit top 1 percent a few times a season,
So if 500 birds in race they must be in first 5 of open if 2000 birds must be in first 20 birds in result,
Think if you start at top 10 percent and each season select stronger you will be a strong racer each season.
diesel

I look for consistency first my best ever. Bird did not win up to yearling stage but was always in the first bunch .
After that won a least 10 firsts topping fed with big birdege in club and fed came on the same line every week never ever came from the back . Be careful what you remove end of season.
Andy

Sounds quite a good way of doing it Tony. It would be quite difficult to do that in our combine. Yes the odd bird can and does get in the combine result more than once through the season but the combine radius is around 72 miles South to North and 30 miles East to West so the results are very much determined on the wind conditions. I am one of the shortest (East) and one of the furthest South.
As I am just starting to develop a team of my own again I will have to start with how they do for me.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

Andy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:45 pm Sounds quite a good way of doing it Tony. It would be quite difficult to do that in our combine. Yes the odd bird can and does get in the combine result more than once through the season but the combine radius is around 72 miles South to North and 30 miles East to West so the results are very much determined on the wind conditions. I am one of the shortest (East) and one of the furthest South.
As I am just starting to develop a team of my own again I will have to start with how they do for me.
Yes pal that's why I said first 10 percent to start my north Rd fed is over 80 miles long god knows how wide it's radius is the whole of Norfolk and suffolk.
My old north Rd fed was over 120 miles long 71 miles wide,
My local south Rd fed is 30 miles long probably 30 miles wide.
But iv found if u select on the intelligent pigeons that don't go past race day n hold line they breed you good birds so each Yr ya team becomes stronger,, some pigeons are very fast but dumb they fly past there loft each week I remove these pigeons very quick, my opinion is I know where I live I don't go miles out my way each day to get home so a pigeon should not either.
Andy

Thanks for your reply Tony. Flying over is certainly something I hope the widowhood may help prevent. The trouble is the race program of our combine is crap to say the least. The first 3 races are only 34 miles for me. 7 of the 12 old bird races are from this race point. The longest old bird race is 118 miles for me. Young birds it’s 102 miles. Our club are hoping to join another club to be convoyed to their longest races.
Our first race is this Saturday.