First race in new club.

Post all your results here for others to see.
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:15 pm
Andy wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:42 am Here is the result sheet.

37D7A907-1413-4CC4-94D7-ADBA5FD2C154.jpeg
Blimey mate I thought you had told us wrong position until I saw all the other Hodges :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes Buster. M & M Hodges (Gary and Prilly) are no relation to us. I used to race against them in the Yeovil club back in 2000 to 2004 when I packed up racing. The funny thing is that they have 4 sons like me. Their second son is the same age as my eldest and they were in the same class at secondary school. He also used to play water polo with us. Gary and Prilly are very good flyers in nationals as well. They also live next door to one of Roxanna’s brothers.
Young Ronnie is the son of Gary’s cousin. Gary’s dad raced pigeons years ago. Ronnie’s dad Wilf is married to Anita. Anita is Roxanna’s goddaughter. Years before me and Roxanna got together.
It’s a bit like the old days at Worthing where Dad, Trev and myself all raced separately.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:21 pm Well done mate a great start, just a pity he flew around instead of straight down and in
Yes a bit of a shame but I’m not that worried. When flying further they won’t be quite so keen to keep flying. He came in quick enough once he came down onto the loft.
Andy

killer wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:11 pm Andy ,main thing is your happy , pigeons must responded to the trainer ,it’s called blue printing ,should start from the day you put there ring on ,remember mate your the boss whether distance or sprinters they must trap , racing in a competive club will bring that out in you ,
Part of the trouble is Killer that they are on open loft for a while twice each day so just come and go.
They do tend to land in the tree behind the loft quite a bit. But generally this gives them a great vantage point for spotting any hawks.
FDA198E3-621B-494D-8961-2A151A58D0AE.jpeg
51F6828A-F7D6-4D52-99AC-7F76F8A7CC3E.jpeg
I know some people would hate this but I don’t mind. They usually come down quick enough when called. I think part of the trouble yesterday is that as this was their first race, and from a short distance, this would have been the first time that they had been out on their own without other birds with them. Also with the first one he was so full of flying that he didn’t even want to stop going around. He was roaring to a hen on the other side of the wires when he came down onto the drop board.
Andy

The other thing is Killer is that since starting back in the sport I haven’t looked to buy success. I never have. Being a stockman at heart my love has always been the breeding side. I have what I have and build from there. I will still get some birds from the likes of Buster and Trev and will look to blend these into the strain I am trying to develop. The problem with this approach is that it’s a long process. In the early days of any breeding program there is always going to be more failures than successes. Only through testing can the best birds be found. Then hopefully over time the base quality will improve and a better percentage of good birds bred. With any breeding program the intention has always got to be to breed better than what you have each year. This will probably only be the odd ones each year but generally the strain should get stronger. So although I am still 7 missing these could be the poorer ones. Although one I think was good but with the hawks it is a bit unknown what happens to them all.
killer

Just imagine how much closer ,if trapping ok ,better luck this week,
Murray

Andy wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:44 pm
killer wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:11 pm Andy ,main thing is your happy , pigeons must responded to the trainer ,it’s called blue printing ,should start from the day you put there ring on ,remember mate your the boss whether distance or sprinters they must trap , racing in a competive club will bring that out in you ,
Part of the trouble is Killer that they are on open loft for a while twice each day so just come and go.
They do tend to land in the tree behind the loft quite a bit. But generally this gives them a great vantage point for spotting any hawks.

FDA198E3-621B-494D-8961-2A151A58D0AE.jpeg

51F6828A-F7D6-4D52-99AC-7F76F8A7CC3E.jpeg

I know some people would hate this but I don’t mind. They usually come down quick enough when called. I think part of the trouble yesterday is that as this was their first race, and from a short distance, this would have been the first time that they had been out on their own without other birds with them. Also with the first one he was so full of flying that he didn’t even want to stop going around. He was roaring to a hen on the other side of the wires when he came down onto the drop board.
No, I won't put up with that. :x
Many years ago, in a land far away, :lol: I was given a pair of Staf van Reet babies. The hen was the more precocious of the two, and went very fast in the baby training.
Behind our house was a row of tall pine trees. The babies started landing in them and messing about. I knocked that out of most of them but one or two would not stop doing it.
The young bird racing started, and this little thing would arrive in front... and fly straight into the tree. :evil: :twisted:
After several weeks I just pulled her out and put her in the stock loft.
Not such a big deal, except her brother was the best pigeon I ever had as a yearling, over 5 weekends he went 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st. And she was a much better pigeon.
I will not abide pigeons sitting in trees or on neighbours roofs. Their own roof, no bother, they need to feel safe on their own home.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

I have a couple of problems here. The lofts are up the end of our 100ft long garden, so well away from our house. The garden is quite low compared to the surrounding buildings. The birds would find it difficult to drop straight onto the loft without pitching either in the tree or on the neighbours house beside the loft. Even from there it’s a fair drop down onto the loft.
Andy

I did have another one return from Saturday’s race this morning. She is very tiered but otherwise all ok.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:59 pm I did have another one return from Saturday’s race this morning. She is very tiered but otherwise all ok.
Hope she recovers well and others drop in
Murray

Good that you got another one, Andy.
Greetings from the land down under. :D