Getting the right nutrition fed.

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Murray

Yes, that all makes sense.
The good thing is, the following week the pigeons will have a fly under their belt, the babies will be about 17 days old, and the cocks will be looking at the hens again. ;)
With a head wind.......? :D
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Murray

Just a hint, send the cocks this week. And next week. 8-) :lol:
Andy

Murray wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:51 am Just a hint, send the cocks this week. And next week. 8-) :lol:
Do you mean the first 2 races or the second and third?
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

First three races send the cocks, if they perform well.
Any cock bird that disappoints the first week, send the hen the following week.
Third week the cock will probably be calling the hen to the nest again and the next week she should be laying.
And so it goes. :D
Andy

It is similar to what I have been thinking. The cocks have been going out in the mornings for a while now as the hens have been sitting. The hens are going out in the afternoons now since the clocks have changed so should soon catch up. Even if they don’t get to go until the fourth race it is still only 100 miles from Brighton. Still not sure that I will train as I don’t want risk the youngsters being so young. It looks like it could be a light NE for the first race which could mean them doing over a mile a minute. So they could do the 35 miles in half an hour.
Murray

People like you and I, with a background in getting things done at certain times, you in dairying, me in racing, have a better understanding of projecting ahead.
I have tried to give a thumbnail sketch of what I am thinking, like that one, to some people and they look at you like you are speaking a foreign language. :?
It happens a bit down here.
Here you start racing with 100 young birds, and keep going until you run out.
I was surprised when a bloke, a very good local flyer, got in touch with me. He had a red hot yearling which had paired up. It was driving the hen to the corner where they had a nest.
What to do? He had heard that i used to race widowhood.
I just told him the same thing.
Don't send a yearling cock driving. They are distracted and get lost
The next week on fresh eggs or the hen close to laying, send him.
The next week he's sitting eggs very hard. send him.
The next week if he's sitting and resting. send him
The next week, they are hatching. If they have hatched, send him. If they haven't keep him, because they can get too anxious again.
The next week, send him. Small babies are good.
The next week. give him a week off. He's done a lot, and the big youngsters are demanding.
The next week the babies are big and the hen is starting to make moon eyes at him, send him again! :lol:
He was astonished. :o
He did that and his yearling cock won week after week after week.
I have a pair of youngsters off him in my stock shed. :D
Andy

Murray wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:53 am People like you and I, with a background in getting things done at certain times, you in dairying, me in racing, have a better understanding of projecting ahead.
I have tried to give a thumbnail sketch of what I am thinking, like that one, to some people and they look at you like you are speaking a foreign language. :?
It happens a bit down here.
Here you start racing with 100 young birds, and keep going until you run out.
I was surprised when a bloke, a very good local flyer, got in touch with me. He had a red hot yearling which had paired up. It was driving the hen to the corner where they had a nest.
What to do? He had heard that i used to race widowhood.
I just told him the same thing.
Don't send a yearling cock driving. They are distracted and get lost
The next week on fresh eggs or the hen close to laying, send him.
The next week he's sitting eggs very hard. send him.
The next week if he's sitting and resting. send him
The next week, they are hatching. If they have hatched, send him. If they haven't keep him, because they can get too anxious again.
The next week, send him. Small babies are good.
The next week. give him a week off. He's done a lot, and the big youngsters are demanding.
The next week the babies are big and the hen is starting to make moon eyes at him, send him again! :lol:
He was astonished. :o
He did that and his yearling cock won week after week after week.
I have a pair of youngsters off him in my stock shed. :D
I agree with you. I do think that dealing with livestock all our lives does give us the edge with stockmanship. I do also believe that to a degree this is something that you either have or you haven’t. It’s not something you can particularly teach or learn. What would take the likes of us seconds to see when walking in a loft other would never see.
A lot of people do seem to treat pigeons as a commodity and not a living creature and will push them until they break.
Murray

I am just an old softy in the loft. I have pigeons sitting all over me.....
And I am always willing to leave a pigeon out of a training toss if it doesn't feel or look right, or has a gap in it's wing or something.
But if they are fit and well I am happy to send them up the road. That's what they are for.
Andy

I’m probably just trying to justify my “lazyness” lack of interest in training lol.
I was like that when I was a competitive swimmer. Still won loads of gold medals. I would rather play waterpolo than spend hours plodding up and down a pool. I think training the pigeons is a bit like that. They fly from A to B and that’s it. When flying around home they are taking off, which uses more muscle power than just flying, landing, clapping around, changing from flying with the wind to flying against it as they circle. In my opinion much better exercise than flying from A to B in 20 minutes.