Threw some eggs away

Post your topics on breeding or family of pigeons here.
Andy

I had a sort out of my eggs this afternoon. I don’t have enough room to keep them all. I have 24 pairs and only have 30 rings. I went through all the pairs and selected those that I wanted to keep youngsters from. I chose 4 pairs that a want to breed 2 rounds from. I have put their eggs under foster pairs so that they can go down again. Some will be rearing single youngsters where I threw away eggs from pairs I don’t want to keep and gave them a single egg from a pair that I want to keep. I threw 18 eggs away. Hope I’ve thrown the right ones away lol. What I was very pleased with is that out of all the 24 pairs of eggs only 1 pair of eggs from a pair of yearlings didn’t look fertile.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

I had a look at some of mine today as well and shocked to see so many looking clear, also found couple more smashed that had turned, feel like just taking bowls out and saying arses to it this year
Andy

That’s a shame Buster. Hope things get better. All this bad weather wouldn’t have helped.
Andy

When I move eggs I like to move them under pairs that have laid on the same day. A day either way is ok but I don’t like much more than that. Fortunately as they all went down close together I have them all under pairs that did lay the same day.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:56 pm When I move eggs I like to move them under pairs that have laid on the same day. A day either way is ok but I don’t like much more than that. Fortunately as they all went down close together I have them all under pairs that did lay the same day.
Mine went down within a week
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:26 pm
Andy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:56 pm When I move eggs I like to move them under pairs that have laid on the same day. A day either way is ok but I don’t like much more than that. Fortunately as they all went down close together I have them all under pairs that did lay the same day.
Mine went down within a week
There obviously wasn’t much wrong with yours then Buster. I think that probably the pair of mine that aren’t fertile are from a pair of yearlings that were shut in their box for a couple of days and then once out, with other pairs out, they weren’t allowed to mate properly.
Buster121

Yes I was surprised myself as mine are never parted, within a week of bowls going in they were down
Trev

Most of mine have been filled ok this year other than some from the older Des Coulter stock birds that I got in last year from Mick Parrish. I've started chucking eggs now as I've pretty much bred all I want for this year, I do hate throwing eggs away though as you can't help thinking you could be throwing out a potentiall champion lol.