Changes for 2023 season

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Wayne Jones

What if anything have you changed for the season ahead?

Loft, boxes, route, feeding, racing system, distance flying …..etc

Personally I’m looking at changing feeding particularly for young birds.

Also changing how I house racing hens hopefully
Andy

As said I have joined a new club, Glastonbury. For the last three years I have only been racing in nationals and classics mainly on the South Road. Because of new regulations with marking, costs and vet visits I have decided to turn North. I did give them 2 north road races last year which were quite successful. This has meant that most races have meant basketing on Thursday mornings. This year with the club racing this will be East to West. My main races will still be the 3 north road races with the central southern classic flying club. The lofts are staying the same apart from the fact that the section that I had for stock birds in is now for racers as well. The stock birds that were prisoners have now been broken or lost trying to break them. So now all the pigeons I have are flying out. I did race widowhood years ago but since starting back up I race natural, mainly because I’m now more interested in the long distance races.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Andy

Wayne Jones wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:52 pm What if anything have you changed for the season ahead?

You say racing hens! What system do you use?
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Trev

I don't plan on changing much at the moment but will need to see how things go.
I do need a new roof for the loft but that will have to wait until I can afford it which I'm hoping will be before next winter 🤞
Racing wise our club turned North Road last year with youngsters so I am looking forward to having a full season on the North and to actually having a few races over 200 miles😁👍 I will continue to race in the natural system. Depending on how this avian flu plans out I will still try to give my birds an open loft but will decide that nearer to the start of racing. Feed wise I will continue mixing my own mix and hopper feed beans.
How are you planning on changing your feeding and what are plans for the hens housing ???
Wayne Jones

Andy wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:43 pm
Wayne Jones wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:52 pm What if anything have you changed for the season ahead?

You say racing hens! What system do you use?
My hens system is a bit rough and ready in fairness. They are separated from cocks and exercised once a day. A few carded in earlier races in 2022.

But I housed with young birds which I don’t think worked as well.

This year the hope is they will be in the aviary (though covered in) locked overnight in boxes. But hoping that 2/3 mornings a week they will be taken to work with me and trap back to feed into aviary (as I leave home at 6:15am they should be home by 7am) . Then spend day with yb (my wife opens my yb into aviary at 10:30am when she isn’t working) then of an evening I will separate hens from Yb. This should give me more time with yb I hope and make hens keener and allow me to feed on better feed system (instead of what yb eat early season). Unsure how it will work but with a small set up worth a try
Wayne Jones

Trev wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:46 pm I don't plan on changing much at the moment but will need to see how things go.
I do need a new roof for the loft but that will have to wait until I can afford it which I'm hoping will be before next winter 🤞
Racing wise our club turned North Road last year with youngsters so I am looking forward to having a full season on the North and to actually having a few races over 200 miles😁👍 I will continue to race in the natural system. Depending on how this avian flu plans out I will still try to give my birds an open loft but will decide that nearer to the start of racing. Feed wise I will continue mixing my own mix and hopper feed beans.
How are you planning on changing your feeding and what are plans for the hens housing ???
Exciting times Trev. Wish I could try north road.

I’m looking at vanrobaeys corns and lightening up more than done in the past.

Covered hens idea in previous post