Old hens laying

Post your topics on breeding or family of pigeons here.
Murray

They are both foundation pigeons, nearly every one of my own family have at least one cross of both of them. But for years I wanted to pair them up but both were mated to other pigeons. I finally get youngsters off them, and if they are the only ones, I might be tempted to keep them.
I hear what you are saying about rushing off after every new name that comes along. In my case my family was getting very inbred, and by good fortune I have been able to introduce 4 Jos Thone cocks and these seem to cross very well with them. Some extremely nice youngsters out there. There's also a couple of Heremans/Van Den Bulck/Pitbull sprinty types out there, but I am not too worried about them. We will see how they go.
I agree, some people are inclined to throw the baby out with the bath water in there panic to get on the latest fashion.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Trev

Murray wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:15 pm I had a nice surprise, when my old original Van Loon hen, a 2011 hen, laid a pair of fertile eggs after a couple of years barren. After she lost her old mate she paired up with the Jansen x van de Rhree cock who is a 2012 bird. She just kept laying clear eggs until I fostered a pair under them a few months ago. Seems to have stimulated them because out popped these! :D
004.JPG
Great to see Muzza, I hope they do well for you mate be it in the stock loft or on the road.
Murray

Buster121 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:00 am
Murray wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:27 am They will probably be kept for stock. I might not get another round out of them.
That was my thinking as well
They are terrific babies though, big and strong and vigorous. We might just have to train them up and see what happens.
We don't need to worry about that for a while.... :D
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Buster121

Murray wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:36 pm
Murray wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:27 am They will probably be kept for stock. I might not get another round out of them.
They are terrific babies though, big and strong and vigorous. We might just have to train them up and see what happens.
;) ;)
Trev

Murray wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:36 pm
Good to hear they are coming on nicely Muzza 👍