Club meeting /AGM

Post your club / fed news in here.
Andy

Last night we had our club meeting and AGM. This was our first meeting since before Covid struck. We had our meeting at 2Warminster football club. This was the first time that we have used this venue since moving from Frome football club. We had thought a while ago about possibly doing a bit of club racing but we decided in the end to just carry on as we are as all members are only really interested in national racing. We moved from the Frome FC because we were being charged £200 per year to use their facilities. We have received a letter from them asking if we would like to go back but the rent would now be £600 per year lol. We declined. The facilities at the Warminster FC are very nice for what we want. We won’t be marking any birds there so will only really want it for meetings and possibly doing clocks. We only have to pay for this on the day when we actually want to use it. We will probably do most of the clocks at our secretaries house. We did have 3 resignations but these were from fanciers that haven’t raced for some time. We had thought about folding the Frome club and get the Warminster club up and running again, Frome and Warminster are only a few miles apart, but in the end as all the members are members of Frome it was easier just to change our headquarters and keep the club the same. We still have 8 members in the club. Because we only race in nationals we have very little costs to the club so have kept our club fees at £10 for the year.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Trev

Good to hear you managed to get together for your agm Andy, I expect it was nice to meet up after all that time, is Phil still a member and planning on racing ??
I do think its a shame you aren't having any club races as I still think a few inland races before going across the water would be beneficial.
At least you can now start planning for the up and coming season, I hope it's a good one for you.
Andy

Yes Trev Phil is still a member. He only has 5 old birds to race. He has brought in some new stock birds for the distance and looking to breed a team around them so may not race this year’s youngsters.
I’m not worried about them not having any inland races before going over the channel. If we had decided to do any club racing it would have had to have been with the West of England South Road Combine. It doesn’t look like they are starting before the first BICC race and even if they do it will only be from around 35 miles to me. A waste of time. Their whole program would be under 120 miles to me. I have 32 races I can enter and am quite happy jumping them straight in at 200 miles.
Murray

I agree, Andy, that 35 miles races are not much use to healthy pigeons that fly that far having a bit of a lap around in the morning. Even 120 miles is not much use once you get them over the channel.
The only thing is it would be education for them being marked, going in the transporter, etc.
Proceed as you feel you should, don't second guess yourself, and don't be pushed into doing things to keep other people happy.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

Murray wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:05 pm I agree, Andy, that 35 miles races are not much use to healthy pigeons that fly that far having a bit of a lap around in the morning. Even 120 miles is not much use once you get them over the channel.
The only thing is it would be education for them being marked, going in the transporter, etc.
Proceed as you feel you should, don't second guess yourself, and don't be pushed into doing things to keep other people happy.
For me I used to enjoy sprint racing. Don’t anymore. But with that combine, which is the one I used to fly with, a large number of birds are going in and around Bristol. So from such short distances a lot of the birds would just be pulled straight passed my loft going with the main batches. They would then have to break and double back to get home. What is that teaching them? To me it’s just teaching them to fly with the batch. With my racing they have plenty of time to sort themselves out a bit before getting anywhere near home so learning to fly more on their own or in small batches. I some will still follow the masses and go across to the East of the country. But if they continue to do that they aren’t the ones I want for the long distance. 200 miles should still only be around 5 to 6 hour fly which birds I’m hoping to get from 500 to 700 miles should be able to do easily enough. Just need to pick and choose the races they have and be sure that they are in good condition. I do have a few races around 145 miles to start with anyway.
George and Morgan

good luck Andy looking forward to you having a good season