Getting the right nutrition fed.

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Andy

Murray wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:23 am
Andy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:19 pm When feeding our top yield herd of cows they were fed the same ration throughout the whole of the lactation from the day they calved up until the day they were dried off. The only thing that changed was the amount that each cow would eat depending on stage of lactation and yield. Before working with this herd I used to change the feed as their yield dropped. This resulted in yields dropping quicker with lower annual yields.
I know this has nothing to do with racing pigeons, but I use my experiences of nutrition over the years with how I look at what the pigeons require.
You say that your experience with nutrition in dairy cattle has nothing to do with racing pigeons. I would dare to disagree. You were responsible for putting the maximum quantity of milk solids in the tanker every day. You were obviously very good at it.
I also bring skills from other industries to the sport.
We have different backgrounds, but one common goal.
Very true Murray 👍
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

However for me the grain is only part of the diet for the birds.

I feed a lot of fresh vegetables, garlic and cider vinegar, fish oil on the grain, to try to give them a diet with all the nutrition they need. I think a grain only diet may sometimes be lacking certain vitamins and minerals.
005.JPG
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Murray

They like their veggies. :D

Two bowls full of vegetables out of the blender.

A couple of hours latter........
001.JPG
Andy

Must say I’ve never really given any vegetables but obviously yours enjoy it. May have to try it.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

Yes, give it a try. It only takes a minute to throw some green leaves and a carrot and a bit of kale or whatever you have in the blender.

Its good for them and they really enjoy it.
Devo1956

A little area in the garden growing some fresh mint, for the birds which is a great calmer for the birds. I know George swears by water cress for his birds. Its little treats like this along with lettuce, turns the loft into buzz for the birds trough the day.
Murray

We were discussing getting the feeding right, and I thought I would mention what I have found in the last week.
Because the young birds were a bit 'on the tooth', I added a bit of maize and peas to the mix, and increased the amount a little. This seemed to satisfy them, but the last week they seem to be filling out and growing, and are cleaning up the feed and looking for more.
I have a very scientific feeding system. :lol:
I have an orange scoop, and a pineapple tin. I don't know how much each holds, but I know how many birds each will feed.
I had been feeding two scoops of mix in the morning, and two scoops at night. They were just about cleaning that up.
A couple of weeks ago I went to 3 scoops at night, because they were eating it up and looking for more. Now its 3 scoops and another one to fill them up after they have cleaned it up. 4 scoops.
I could have just continued feeding the same amount, because it works out at so many ounces of feed between so many birds, or whatever. As I say, I don't know how many ounces they get. The young bird get 2 scoops for breakfast and 4 scoops for dinner. That's all I know.
Feeding to what they require is the thing. What you are feeding is less important than how you are feeding it.
My view, anyway.
Trev

Murray wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:54 pm Yes, give it a try. It only takes a minute to throw some green leaves and a carrot and a bit of kale or whatever you have in the blender.

Its good for them and they really enjoy it.
I really must try your method Muzza, mine do get a lettuce a week, the hens eat more of it than the cocks do. Years ago when I had my best few seasons I was feeding blended beetroot and wholemeal bread to the birds once a week and they loved it, beetroot is great natural source of iodine. Since starting up again I have tried giving it again but they don't touch it, maybe I'm overdoing the beetroot 🤔🤔
Trev

Murray wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:30 pm We were discussing getting the feeding right, and I thought I would mention what I have found in the last week.
Because the young birds were a bit 'on the tooth', I added a bit of maize and peas to the mix, and increased the amount a little. This seemed to satisfy them, but the last week they seem to be filling out and growing, and are cleaning up the feed and looking for more.
I have a very scientific feeding system. :lol:
I have an orange scoop, and a pineapple tin. I don't know how much each holds, but I know how many birds each will feed.
I had been feeding two scoops of mix in the morning, and two scoops at night. They were just about cleaning that up.
A couple of weeks ago I went to 3 scoops at night, because they were eating it up and looking for more. Now its 3 scoops and another one to fill them up after they have cleaned it up. 4 scoops.
I could have just continued feeding the same amount, because it works out at so many ounces of feed between so many birds, or whatever. As I say, I don't know how many ounces they get. The young bird get 2 scoops for breakfast and 4 scoops for dinner. That's all I know.
Feeding to what they require is the thing. What you are feeding is less important than how you are feeding it.
My view, anyway.
I agree Murray it is as much how you feed as what you feed, I know they always reckoned that they need 1.25 to 1.5 ounces per bird per day but I have to say mine rarely if ever eat that much. Like you I just adjust each feed depending on how much they clear the previous feed.
Murray

I usually only do the veggies once a week, on Saturday, but they cleaned it up yesterday in no time, so I am going to give them another lot this morning.
They had the garlic and cider vinegar yesterday, and the shed was full of down feathers this morning, so it is all helping them.
I know what you mean about them being choosy about what they eat. In New Zealand I used to feed black sunflower, they loved it. Here, they are not keen on it and it mostly gets thrown to the wild birds. Of course I do feed a fair bit of safflower, so they don't seem to want it.
You have to find what works.