Using Garlic

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Trev

I have put garlic in the birds water for many years now but have used it in different ways. Just recently I read an article about it that made me question how I use it I thought I'd ask other members their views and opinions !!!
I have used it in two different ways, before I gave up the birds back in 2008 I used to just leave a garlic clove in the water bowls which were topped up daily, I would usually have to replace the clove every 3 or 4 weeks. Since starting up with the birds again in 2016 I have just had a 2 ltr bottle of water with a couple of garlic cloves in it that I dilute and give to the birds every other day. The article I recently read suggested that leaving garlic in the water indefinitely could cause detrimental health issues so I am interested to hear other opinions !!
I would share the article I read but unfortunately I can't find it lol :lol: :lol:
Andy

I’ve always used garlic by having a couple of cloves in a 4 pint bottle and leave it to stand between using. I will use this water in the morning and then fill the bottle back up after using and leave until the afternoon, use that again before refilling. I leave the cloves in the bottle. This will be used like this for a couple of weeks or so before throwing the cloves away. Which by this time are becoming a bit strong and slimy.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

I read that leaving the garlic in the water it starts to decay after a few days as it is organic matter.

Once a week I crush a big clove of garlic with the flat of a knife, put it in a bottle of water for a few hours and then strain out the garlic. I add a tablespoon of cider vinegar and dilute it with 5 litres of water.

Even at that dilution it is starting to stink by the next morning and I tip it out and rinse the drinkers.

I swear by it. It keeps them well.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Trev

Thanks for your replies Andy and Murray.
I like the way you do it Muzza and its interesting to see you only use a tablespoon of cider vinegar to 5litres, I've obviously been giving that far too strong as I've been using about a table spoon (10 -15mls) in 2 litres 3 or 4 times a week.
Murray

I also give them Apple cider vinegar every second day during the week, at a rate of 10 mls in 3 litres of water. It's important, I think not to make it so strong that they start drinking less, especially in the hot weather.
They seem to like the taste at that sort of strength, but it's a bit of trial and error to find out what works for you.
Trev

Murray wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:00 am I also give them Apple cider vinegar every second day during the week, at a rate of 10 mls in 3 litres of water. It's important, I think not to make it so strong that they start drinking less, especially in the hot weather.
They seem to like the taste at that sort of strength, but it's a bit of trial and error to find out what works for you.
Thanks for the advice and information Murray, I did wonder if the garlic and cider vinegar mixture might have been too strong and the birds were certainly thirsty from races !!! I will be a bit more careful how much I give them this year.
At the risk of sounding silly another question I have is does the vinegar go off ???
Andy

Trev wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:55 pm
Murray wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:00 am I also give them Apple cider vinegar every second day during the week, at a rate of 10 mls in 3 litres of water. It's important, I think not to make it so strong that they start drinking less, especially in the hot weather.
Thanks for the advice and information Murray, I did wonder if the garlic and cider vinegar mixture might have been too strong and the birds were certainly thirsty from races !!! I will be a bit more careful how much I give them this year.
At the risk of sounding silly another question I have is does the vinegar go off ???
It won’t go off Trev but there is settlement in the bottom of the can. I just strain the last bit but make sure you shake it well each time when using.
Murray

Because I could not get out to the orchard at one point, to buy the natural fermented ACV, when I was at the wholesaler buying stock for the Service station, I bought a bottle of cheap supermarket cider vinegar. I put some in the bottle the natural stuff had been in, and the 'mother' started growing in it. :o
Now I have several bottles in the back of the pantry with live cider vinegar in them.
It's probably just as cheap to buy it at the orchard from bulk, but it's not as much fun. :D
Andy

I use the one with the mother in. I use the ones made for poultry as I can get it at wholesale price from my suppliers.
Murray

Andy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:49 am I use the one with the mother in. I use the ones made for poultry as I can get it at wholesale price from my suppliers.
You could make a quid there, Andy.

Get a 1000 litre pelican of it at, whatever it costs in pounds, put it in 1 and 5 and 10 litre containers, think of a catchy name.... Boom. :D