Moulting

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Andy

I could fill a pillow case every day at the moment. I don’t do the darkness system so they are left to moult naturally. The youngsters in particular now are falling apart, there are feathers everywhere. All a good sign of healthy birds but a pain when it comes to cleaning out.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:01 am I could fill a pillow case every day at the moment. I don’t do the darkness system so they are left to moult naturally. The youngsters in particular now are falling apart, there are feathers everywhere. All a good sign of healthy birds but a pain when it comes to cleaning out.
Been having them for a while now end May when first ones started, got couple there heads are bald and have been for weeks and weeks now
Murray

It's a good thing to see them going steadily through the moult. The feathers are a pain but I love seeing them when they are finished and have brand new suits :D

I did read somewhere that if they hold on to their feathers and then suddenly totally fall apart, it can mean they have not been well and are recovering. Interesting.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Buster121

Murray wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:57 pm It's a good thing to see them going steadily through the moult. The feathers are a pain but I love seeing them when they are finished and have brand new suits :D

I did read somewhere that if they hold on to their feathers and then suddenly totally fall apart, it can mean they have not been well and are recovering. Interesting.
Also a sign of sickness is not going fully through the moult
Murray

Yep, but I did not want to be the one to pick up on that.

You say you have pigeons bare around the head for "weeks and weeks'. Why?
Murray

That is a thing to think about.
When you are training young birds, they go into the body moult, it starts behind their nose, goes over their heads and down their necks.
We all know what 'turkey neck' youngsters look like. :lol:
Then they grow the 'new suit of clothes' and look terrific.
This may be another gauge of how your pigeons are progressing. Buster commented that he has pigeons which have been bare around the head for some weeks.
I, on the other hand, have shed full of pigeons which went through the moult, the head moult being a barely noticeable ripple in the plumage :o
They were growing new feathers almost as fast as they could moult them.
I had not thought about until just now. These pigeons were never bare around the head and neck.
Either they are in super health, or I am in a LOT of trouble :shock:
Buster121

Murray wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:23 am Yep, but I did not want to be the one to pick up on that.

You say you have pigeons bare around the head for "weeks and weeks'. Why?
No idea mate they always seem to take long time getting head feathers back, some scalped as youngsters others couple old cocks, every year they do it not just a one off
Andy

The main time I don’t like to send them is when bald over the ears.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.