Had birds out today

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Andy

I had the birds out today for the first time since the end of October. They were out most of the day on open loft. They were flying on and off during the day. Seemed quite happy being out again. I am missing a latebred cock tonight. I think that it may have been one of the first times he had been out flying as he hadn’t long been out of the nest before I separated them. I hope it’s not a hawk already but I don’t think so. I have one young hen who is silly tame. She has been like it most of the winter while shut in. She isn’t interested in pairing up as she is continually looking for me. When out this morning she was constantly flying over and landing on my shoulder. When I went in she was sat just outside the door looking in. As soon as I stepped outside she flew on my shoulder again. While I was working in the shop she even sat on Roxanna’s shoulder while she was hanging the washing out. Lol.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

You will be pleased to get them out, Andy.

Spring is just around the corner for you.

Autumn is just around the corner for us in the southern colonies. :D
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Buster121

Hope it turns in mate, I had an hen who did the same up until she died only ever paired to me always on my shoulder while cleaning out etc, did have two one on each shoulder used to fight over me but managed to get her to pair to a cock eventually, she does still come on me but not as much
Murray

My Billion Dollar Baby was fused to me when she was a youngster. Used to be like parrot sitting on my shoulder.
Then she paired up with a son of the 600 mile hen, and had babies.
Now she is still very confident around me, but only to attack me if I put a hand in her nest box. :D
George and Morgan

never had a tame bird what i have noticed the grizzles i have do let you pick them up so i think it's in families this tameness the problem is if you have too many lol
Andy

I have got quite a few that will sit on me. But yes it does run in families. The Dam, sister and brother of this hen are all very friendly.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

George and Morgan wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:12 am never had a tame bird what i have noticed the grizzles i have do let you pick them up so i think it's in families this tameness the problem is if you have too many lol
Hi George, I am pleased to see that you are getting involved with this new forum. I do look forward to your posts, you give another view into racing in the UK.
I don't make much of an effort to make pigeons tame, because they are meant to be racing pigeons. But they are very easily tamed.
By talking to babies in the nest and getting them used to being handled when I clean out the nest box, I often have small ones climbing on to me when I go into the loft.
I believe homing pigeons have a very long and very strong bond with humans.
All we need to do is allow it to happen. :D