Yb teams

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
NeilA

I posted a similar topic to this on chat
Now we are members here I thought see what others think
if you breed 2 rounds how important is it to split them into two lofts so nothing is held back and nothing is up before it’s ready
Not as in just flying when right up mean up when others are going off for a hour etc there just doing there first spin around the loft
I split mine tried them all together the other year and had more losses than normal could be just coincidence
My life would be easier with them
All in one section
Last edited by NeilA on Thu May 09, 2024 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Mine are all in one section as I don’t have anywhere else they could go. Having said that other years I have raced natural and all birds, old and young, had open loft. The early youngsters were weaned but the later ones were left to wean themselves. As I am racing widowhood this year and keep no stock birds all my youngsters have come from the one round. I have got the odd later ones out of the 4 natural pairs I have that will be weaned next week. These will go in with the older ones.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

I think it depends on what space you have Niel, it would be ideal to have the space for 2 teams. Then all are going through the stages of development at their pace, which i think is important in early stages.of the youngsters.
CHARLTON34

Morning everyone, so I didn't start until February 5 pairs down so 1 hen hasn't laid so 6 yb from the 1st round all flying out so far. Second round of 14 are at different stages some weaned some only just hatched out so a reel mix this year, not going to do darkness this time around will bring them on gradually. If I had more room I would put them all down take the first round & be done, split the pairs up a race whatever system i choose, then try different motivation with them as the season progresses.
If your going to mix the youngsters & the younger ones drop to land it will cause the others to do the same & bad habits start.
Just have a routine & stick to it your in control & don't let them rule you be strict with them from the start & anything that doesn't play ball or weakness is taken out as this will effect the rest of the team.
Regards Dave.
worm

you always end up with some out of sync anyway this year I've 5 that were in-between rounds had them out a good few times on there own then older ones went sick locked them up and got them all out together when right the 5 didn't go with them right for atleast a week now younger end are different ages so hard work but are in different section
williams and hadfield
NeilA

Devo1956 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:31 am I think it depends on what space you have Niel, it would be ideal to have the space for 2 teams. Then all are going through the stages of development at their pace, which i think is important in early stages.of the youngsters.
I think your right
It’s just time
a month to I get the others going well then I can let them out 15 min apart
Trying hens this year makes it a bit harder on the 3 days I let my old ones out as it’s the extra hour a day
Devo1956

NeilA wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:51 am
Devo1956 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:31 am I think it depends on what space you have Niel, it would be ideal to have the space for 2 teams. Then all are going through the stages of development at their pace, which i think is important in early stages.of the youngsters.
I think your right
It’s just time
a month to I get the others going well then I can let them out 15 min apart
Trying hens this year makes it a bit harder on the 3 days I let my old ones out as it’s the extra hour a day
I feel it's all about reducing the stress, not only on the youngsters. But for yourself, there are so many things to do. So time is important, for all in the partnership.
Murray

Here's another way of looking at it.
Stop driving yourselves around the bend worrying about that is not your problem.
A good mate of mine took some youngsters from me when our house sold. Ten with money race rings on and a few with club rings off the better old birds.

Talking to him the other night he said I should stop and have a look next time I was in town. I am quite honoured, I have access to his loft any time I want.
So while we were in Bendigo we popped out and I had a look.
David's loft 1.JPG
They weren't very keen on me getting too close, and I didn't labour the point.

I did pick out this one, she's out of the Melbourne hen. A fabulous youngster!
David's loft 2.JPG
David's loft 2.JPG (41.74 KiB) Viewed 136 times
The interesting thing is, all those babies were out, some of them flying a bit some only just beginning. We took them to David's place and put them in with his youngsters. A couple of days latter he let them start going out with his, and... there they were.
They are homing pigeons.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, but I do think the biggest mistake we make, the cause of nothing but angst and unhappiness is, getting the idea between our ears that we are responsible for everything our pigeons ever do.
We aren't. Honestly.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Murray

When I went in the loft most of them just quietly pottered off outside into the aviary. :lol:
David's loft 3.JPG
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Devo1956

It's a pity the photos did not enlarge Murray, I would have liked to have seen the youngsters mate.