Recovery from racing

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
NeilA

king wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:20 pm Rest is the best thing a pigeon can have after a race, but every pigeon is different. I always let mine out the day after a race and put a bath out for them. Some birds just came out of the loft and straight to the bath others went for a fly. I've had birds fly up to 13 hours and after 30 mins it's hard to tell they had even been with handling them.
The speed a bird recovers is a great indicator of health. I very much doubt a sprint bird would need to have a days rest after a race?
I like 2 days rest it fits my work but I can’t see why pigeons are out Sunday anyway for sprinting
Anthony webster
Great Britain

I like 2,3 days rest won't start bk until I see team bouncing in loft,
MIL

A good sprint pigeon and I mean a "good one" will give you every inch and ounce of effort in their body in order to get home in the shortest time possible. They'll fly through a brick wall for you.

I've met cocks coming in through an open door (me coming out them coming in) and there's only 1 winner - THEM. I've been knocked off my feet no end of times

That kind of exertion requires careful recovery.

Do distance pigeons give their all too? Of course they do - but i'm not implying they don't need recovery afterwards either
Anthony webster
Great Britain

MIL wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:55 pm A good sprint pigeon and I mean a "good one" will give you every inch and ounce of effort in their body in order to get home in the shortest time possible. They'll fly through a brick wall for you.

I've met cocks coming in through an open door (me coming out them coming in) and there's only 1 winner - THEM. I've been knocked off my feet no end of times

That kind of exertion requires careful recovery.

Do distance pigeons give their all too? Of course they do - but i'm not implying they don't need recovery afterwards either
Sprint pigeons are like men working on a price n long distance pigeons are like council workers there for ever lol
Andy

I let mine out this morning as usual. They were keen to go out. Mind you they only raced between 39 and 62 minutes yesterday. They had a bit of a fly and looked quite happy. I must say that I have never had mine fly anywhere near as long as some say there’s do. Mainly they will just fly around for 10/15 minutes or so before coming down. But the loft is shut and they can’t get in until I let them in. During the time they are out they constantly clap off, usually individually, shooting off in different directions and are up and down the whole time they’re out. I think they use more energy doing this than just flying around in circles. As soon as I go out to drop the board they are looking for me and are on the board before I’ve fully opened it sometimes. The fact that they don’t fly constantly while out doesn’t bother me. We have a member in our club who says that his will fly one and a half to two hours at I time. But come race day I often beat them.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
NeilA

Andy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:59 pm I let mine out this morning as usual. They were keen to go out. Mind you they only raced between 39 and 62 minutes yesterday. They had a bit of a fly and looked quite happy. I must say that I have never had mine fly anywhere near as long as some say there’s do. Mainly they will just fly around for 10/15 minutes or so before coming down. But the loft is shut and they can’t get in until I let them in. During the time they are out they constantly clap off, usually individually, shooting off in different directions and are up and down the whole time they’re out. I think they use more energy doing this than just flying around in circles. As soon as I go out to drop the board they are looking for me and are on the board before I’ve fully opened it sometimes. The fact that they don’t fly constantly while out doesn’t bother me. We have a member in our club who says that his will fly one and a half to two hours at I time. But come race day I often beat them.
My cocks go out for a hour Tuesday to Thursday they may drop twice for 30 secs then go when bang on they will stay up the hour , they are not spot on yet
My hens would fly more if allowed
I use go to see most London aces in my teens all flew the cocks a solid hour
When I helped a double combine winner who won 2 cars his stayed up a full hour to they saw him then down and in
To be honest here if my birds are down after 10-15 mins I would shit myself
if your birds are right they don’t fly in circles you want the crossing you and going out of sight
Not knocking you Andy and I’m glad it works in your area it just wouldn’t here for sprinting
Andy

NeilA wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 pm
Andy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:59 pm I let mine out this morning as usual. They were keen to go out. Mind you they only raced between 39 and 62 minutes yesterday. They had a bit of a fly and looked quite happy. I must say that I have never had mine fly anywhere near as long as some say there’s do. Mainly they will just fly around for 10/15 minutes or so before coming down. But the loft is shut and they can’t get in until I let them in. During the time they are out they constantly clap off, usually individually, shooting off in different directions and are up and down the whole time they’re out. I think they use more energy doing this than just flying around in circles. As soon as I go out to drop the board they are looking for me and are on the board before I’ve fully opened it sometimes. The fact that they don’t fly constantly while out doesn’t bother me. We have a member in our club who says that his will fly one and a half to two hours at I time. But come race day I often beat them.
My cocks go out for a hour Tuesday to Thursday they may drop twice for 30 secs then go when bang on they will stay up the hour , they are not spot on yet
My hens would fly more if allowed
I use go to see most London aces in my teens all flew the cocks a solid hour
When I helped a double combine winner who won 2 cars his stayed up a full hour to they saw him then down and in
To be honest here if my birds are down after 10-15 mins I would shit myself
if your birds are right they don’t fly in circles you want the crossing you and going out of sight
Not knocking you Andy and I’m glad it works in your area it just wouldn’t here for sprinting
My cocks have always been the same even back in the 80s and 90s. I don’t fly my hens out at all while on widowhood.
NeilA

Are you still feeding like a 80’s mix with peas on the widowhood mix ?
Like super widowhood
Anthony webster
Great Britain

I think it's crazy not racing hens it's like saying your worse cock bird is better than all the hens in garden n iv found so many birds that fanicers say are on widowhood actually ain't, the fanicers thinks he is but the birds ain't,
I was taught widowhood by the best iv ever seen fly it but I don't enjoy it I like racing hens as well n I'm use to flying hens.
Andy

Anthony webster wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:40 pm I think it's crazy not racing hens it's like saying your worse cock bird is better than all the hens in garden n iv found so many birds that fanicers say are on widowhood actually ain't, the fanicers thinks he is but the birds ain't,
I was taught widowhood by the best iv ever seen fly it but I don't enjoy it I like racing hens as well n I'm use to flying hens.
I don’t think that Tony. I just don’t have the loft set up or the time to fly both sex’s. They are on a diet supreme and depurative with just a couple of feeds of super widowhood given on a Thursday. My best bird last year was a hen on natural. Actually the nest mate of my first bird yesterday. A pair of latebreds from 2 years ago.