Late breed

Say hello to all the other members on the forum.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

NeilA wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:26 pm
king wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:10 pm
NeilA wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:01 pm

Thing is we need them to win regular and straight away as yearlings in sprinting and be in the early birds in the fed I just don’t think they are worth it
I can breed enough homers early in the year without the hassle of late breds
I agree they are not much use in a sprinting loft. when I raced I can't remember a good one for me sprinting. I did however have one win 1st at 500 miles that was a late bred one year.
Agree king
May bred raced young are fine to race the yb program and score but once you get to the age you can’t race them that year there not much use if you race against a decent level of fancier on the sprints
I'm going to race babys this Yr Neil there late March April bred baby's going on dark 1st may
It's the same way I raced yb in London n they last the 9 weeks perfect,
Iv missed not racing baby's so can't wait.
Andy

I will breed a few late breeds for the widowhoods at the end of the season.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
NeilA

Anthony webster wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:36 am
NeilA wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:26 pm
king wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:10 pm

I agree they are not much use in a sprinting loft. when I raced I can't remember a good one for me sprinting. I did however have one win 1st at 500 miles that was a late bred one year.
Agree king
May bred raced young are fine to race the yb program and score but once you get to the age you can’t race them that year there not much use if you race against a decent level of fancier on the sprints
I'm going to race babys this Yr Neil there late March April bred baby's going on dark 1st may
It's the same way I raced yb in London n they last the 9 weeks perfect,
Iv missed not racing baby's so can't wait.
I dont blame you I know you love yb races
my 2nd round are 10 days old and sine just hatched they will go to the first race in July I won’t bother to darken them but they will be good for 4/5 races
Trev

So interesting points there, most I agree with, late breds can be very unpredictable. The funny thing with that is most fanciers on the darkness system could class their youngsters as late breds these days as they start breeding late November so in my eyes they shouldn't be eligible for youngbird racing !!!
I think if you want late breds for sprinters then you probably do need to be training them as soon as you can and over the closed season. I used to always breed late breds from my distance birds as I liked those who'd flown 400miles plus to rear a pair on their return. These I wouldn't usually do anything with as yearlings other than maybe get them into a couple of the last comeback races, I've had mixed success with them. I also know fanciers who've taken late breds from their best racers and just stuck them straight in the stock loft.
I have a few late breds now, I'll train them with the youngsters but not much more than that this year.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

Iv asked best late bred flyers in uk each one said to me it's the weather why you loose em
They said you drop em at 65 miles in April but clock on day at 400 in summer,
So I looked further n most best channel flyers in ire race late breds but in summer then in USA n south africa there late breds but they cut n pull last 3 flights but it's warm,
So I definitely think it's about the climate you fetch them out in.
The lads I know who do it do it well but it takes patience
MIL

I've never trained/raced a latebred in my life so it'd be unwise of me to offer much of an opinion

I know what I "think" but without experience it's of little to no value really
Murray

While I wouldn't aim to have latebreds, last year I won a short race with one. One of the red Jos Thone' cocks had a pair of fertile eggs, and I thought what the heck, I might get a hen for stock or something.....
One was a little mealy cock, who got put in with the big youngsters, had all the tosses and won a race by minutes, obviously having broken away.
That is an exception.
Mostly they are a waste of space. They are too young to cope with young bird racing, and most of them are first ones to vanish as 'yearlings'. I have tried it other times. Didn't work.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.