Feeding racers once a day

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Devo1956

NeilA wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:41 am
Steve Howells wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:39 am Feed once a day or twice a day makes zero difference, same with exercise flying them once or twice a day makes no difference once fit. Must of been 2020 the cocks looked in great shape flying really well, and when I basketed them for Poitiers 455miles I really thought they'd be about. I also entered 1 hen that had been living in the youngbird loft. Feed once a day exercised once a day (if I had time) no fat build up and no training other than the races she'd had Oh and just flying to the perch. Come race day it turned out quite a tough affair with just a handful on the day and that hen was my only day bird at just over 12hrs ( 4th fed from memory). I concluded yet again what the F' do I know about pigeons :lol:
Great story mate . It does me to do it as I could go straight to work get home earlier then have the cocks out at 430 instead of 530 meaning the babies have more light
To be honest lads, you have to have a system, that works for you and your birds. Time is important, make the most of it.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

NeilA wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:38 am
Anthony webster wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:12 am
NeilA wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:35 pm

Connolly and son use to have them out twice but feed once I read in Ryan’s write up from years ago
I only loft fly once a day and if they did it twice once should be ok was my thinking
Yes pal me n Ryan still very good friends
He wanted to go bk north Rd but got knocked bk again at club
Sport is fading and clubs knock back flyers is beyond me.
What club ? I thought he was in the Stevenage area now
Most of Stevenage is in north London fed radius now so he can come to my club anytime we have two stevenage members now
I thought he was looking for a bit of land that way first
No mate he lives in stevenage but still races with he's dad in east London
Murray

Whether you feed once or twice a day makes little difference.
For many years my routine was to get up early and give them a light feed then go to work. After work I would give them their fly then feed them in.
I don't know if it was a great system, it was just what I had to do.
I have a mate who lets his out once a day and while they are out he puts a light mix in the feed trays. He also has peas in pots in front of them all day. They seldom touched them.
Our feeding methods could not be more different. I won a race last year. So did he.
As long as the pigeons are getting what they need, when you feed it to them is up to you...
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
NeilA

Anthony webster wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:12 am
Anthony webster wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:12 am

Yes pal me n Ryan still very good friends
He wanted to go bk north Rd but got knocked bk again at club
Sport is fading and clubs knock back flyers is beyond me.
Most of Stevenage is in north London fed radius now so he can come to my club anytime we have two stevenage members now
I see mate
He will get in Debden and Woodford where his dad lives I bet
Jutla brothers are in there now as is another chap at Leyton
I’m pretty sure there radius is the fed radius as Harlow members are in it on the north of the fed
It changed only this February the fed radius hits barking to the east and the Thames to the south
Anthony webster
Great Britain

NeilA wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:29 am
Anthony webster wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:12 am

I see mate c
He will get in Debden and Woodford where his dad lives I bet
Jutla brothers are in there now as is another chap at Leyton
I’m pretty sure there radius is the fed radius as Harlow members are in it on the north of the fed
It changed only this February the fed radius hits barking to the east and the Thames to the south
Cheers m8
Steve Howells

Andy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:18 am
Steve Howells wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:39 am Feed once a day or twice a day makes zero difference, same with exercise flying them once or twice a day makes no difference once fit. Must of been 2020 the cocks looked in great shape flying really well, and when I basketed them for Poitiers 455miles I really thought they'd be about. I also entered 1 hen that had been living in the youngbird loft. Feed once a day exercised once a day (if I had time) no fat build up and no training other than the races she'd had Oh and just flying to the perch. Come race day it turned out quite a tough affair with just a handful on the day and that hen was my only day bird at just over 12hrs ( 4th fed from memory). I concluded yet again what the F' do I know about pigeons :lol:
Great story Steve. Just shows sometimes we think we know what’s best when in reality we don’t know much. lol.
Here's another one that defies all logic. In 2012 I bred the most beautiful blue which turned out to be a cock bird, he duly went into the widowhood loft but turned out to be the laziest bird I ever had the pleasure of owing. I'd let them out and he'd storm out with the rest but land on the youngbird loft, if I tried to make him fly he'd just walk to the opposite end of the loft( he was too lazy to run :lol: ) Anyway come racing he was generally a middle order arrival on the land, but as I was only interested in channel racing I wasn't fussed. Come first channel race who rocks up first? yeah you've guessed it lazy boy, and that went on race in race out, he scored time and time again and done that till he was a six years old yet during the week it was pointless letting him out, all the others would be flying like crazy yet come Saturday :lol: He was also a real character, he bluntly refused to walk into the trap ever, on race day he'd land on the board and I'd pick him up and scan his ring. I'm sure if he could talk he say " I've done my bit if you want anymore you'll have to do it) The sad ending was I had decided to retire him, so in 2018 he went to Canapavile 250 miles for his last race never to be seen again. By that time my racing partner wasn't well enough to come over to watch the birds return but his first question when I rang him was " how did the old blue do?" I never had the heart to tell him he'd failed to return, I just said he was a little off today.