Find a vet

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Devo1956

MIL wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:13 pm
Devo1956 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:08 pm while i was in Germany, i was being told about the sexing of young birds. They send 3 feathers from the youngster, to a local lab it cost 10 euros. DNA cost 150 euros but you can get it done in Checlosavaka for 100 Euros.

Cheaper still in Netherlands
Oh right, thank you for the heads up.
MIL

Copied the detail into wrong thread - one mo
MIL

Thank you for your interest in the services of Gendika. For parentage testing we need plucked feathers from the breast of the pigeons. You can send the feathers to our laboratory in bags/envelopes (one bag/envelope per pigeon of course) with the ring number on it. The results of the DNA tests will be stored in your database at Gendika, so in future you can use the results of your breeders again to test parentage of new youngsters.

The costs are:
DNA profile without sex determination:
- 1-10 pigeons in one order: 35 euro excl VAT per pigeon
- More than 10 pigeons in one order: 30 euro excl VAT per pigeon

DNA profile with sex determination:
- 1-10 pigeons in one order: 45 euro excl VAT per pigeon
- More than 10 pigeons in one order: 40 euro excl VAT per pigeon

(So for instance: one youngster with sex determination, plus the father, plus the mother will cost 45 + 35 + 35 = 115 euro excl VAT)

The address of our laboratory is:
GENDIKA BV
Van Beresteijnstraat 22B
9641 AB Veendam
The Netherlands

Please enclose a letter with your order in which you indicate which parentage you would like to have checked.

Best regards,
Devo1956

Thank you Mike for the information, i will use this company to test some youngsters i will be buying.
king

Devo1956 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:08 pm while i was in Germany, i was being told about the sexing of young birds. They send 3 feathers from the youngster, to a local lab it cost 10 euros. DNA cost 150 euros but you can get it done in Checlosavaka for 100 Euros.
How does this help you in any way? If you've hatched the bird and allowed it to be raised to an age where it has feathers, what you then going to do with it after finding out it's sex? If it's young cocks your after simply sex-link your pairings you can spot the cocks the moment they feather at ZERO cost.
MIL

Its to authenticate the parentage - peace of mind
Devo1956

What i was told by breeders over in Germany, like Mike says peace of mind. Also the buyer wants to know the sex before paying for the youngster.
king

MIL wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:54 pm Its to authenticate the parentage - peace of mind
I've always thought if you have doubts about the honesty of the seller you shouldn't really be buying from them? And unless you do test yourself to compare to the DNA certificate your given, your still just talking his word for any piece a paper you are given.
MIL

It might not be the honesty of the seller - but if the birds are bred in an "open stock section" can you always guarantee the parentage of each pigeon bred each and every round?
Anthony webster
Great Britain

MIL wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:49 pm It might not be the honesty of the seller - but if the birds are bred in an "open stock section" can you always guarantee the parentage of each pigeon bred each and every round?
No u can't m8 I built a building with 10 breeding pens in but it's coming down this Yr for some reason the birds bred better pigeons in a communal loft.