Find a vet

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Devo1956

When the topic comes up about finding a vet for our racing pigeons, what are members thoughts on this subject.? Here is a tool used in Germany, maybe also used in Belgium and Holland.

https://vetkarte.brieftaube.de/tierarzt ... ssuche=100

Right click on mouse for English.
Devo1956

If any members know of any good racing pigeon vets, could they please put on topic to help other members. It's about working together to keep the sport going, Thank you.
Buster121

The only one I know is the one at Meditech
king

I remember a time when fanciers never used vets. I must have kept pigeons over 40 years before I ever went to a vet. The couple of times since I believe I just wasted my money. These vets/testers often ALWAYS find something wrong with the birds and get you to buy treatment from them.
I was always taught if you have a problem with a bird/animal go see somebody who breeds them be they budgies/rabbits or pigeons. Many will say you have to treat to win, but that simply isn't true fanciers won before using vets. I think any fancier constantly sing a vet and treating must be doing something wrong.
I await your replies ;)
MIL

Logically you could say "fanciers won before using vets" because everybody was on the same playing field - nobody used vets

There's no doubting testing can be beneficial. You have to take it on board and align that with the performances that you're seeing though.

The best thing any good fancier has in his armoury is "observation".

Testing won't really tell you if your birds have respiratory for instance, but your eyes and ears will tell you if you're half-way smart ;)
king

MIL wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:56 pm Logically you could say "fanciers won before using vets" because everybody was on the same playing field - nobody used vets

There's no doubting testing can be beneficial. You have to take it on board and align that with the performances that you're seeing though.

Testing won't really tell you if your birds have respiratory for instance, but your eyes and ears will tell you if you're half-way smart ;)
I totally agree Mike. If you are going to treat, it should ONLY be done after testing. And observation is key. The less birds you keep the easier it is.
Devo1956

while i was in Germany, i was being told about the sexing of young birds. They send 3 feathers from the youngster, to a local lab it cost 10 euros. DNA cost 150 euros but you can get it done in Checlosavaka for 100 Euros.
Devo1956

king wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:07 pm
MIL wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:56 pm Logically you could say "fanciers won before using vets" because everybody was on the same playing field - nobody used vets

I totally agree Mike. If you are going to treat, it should ONLY be done after testing. And observation is key. The less birds you keep the easier it is.
I agree with both of you, i spent many hours observing my birds when i had them. To be honest i did learn a great deal from observation.
Andy

king wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:56 pm I remember a time when fanciers never used vets. I must have kept pigeons over 40 years before I ever went to a vet. The couple of times since I believe I just wasted my money. These vets/testers often ALWAYS find something wrong with the birds and get you to buy treatment from them.
I was always taught if you have a problem with a bird/animal go see somebody who breeds them be they budgies/rabbits or pigeons. Many will say you have to treat to win, but that simply isn't true fanciers won before using vets. I think any fancier constantly sing a vet and treating must be doing something wrong.
I await your replies ;)
I’ve been keeping pigeons for 50 years. Never seen a vet. I don’t treat for anything, apart from pmv, and that only because we have to. I did contact a well known pigeon vet a couple of years or so ago as I felt something wasn’t right. They were very helpful in suggesting what the problem could be and told me to try a couple of different products telling me how to administer them, which they sold me. I treated to the letter. Made no difference whatsoever.
I was a stockman for years and what Mike says is very true with all livestock. It’s all down to observation.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
MIL

Devo1956 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:08 pm while i was in Germany, i was being told about the sexing of young birds. They send 3 feathers from the youngster, to a local lab it cost 10 euros. DNA cost 150 euros but you can get it done in Checlosavaka for 100 Euros.

Cheaper still in Netherlands