Pedigrees

Post your topics on breeding or family of pigeons here.
Murray

Andy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:49 am
Murray wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:51 am These are Jos Thone' pigeons off pigeons which were the very very best, a decade ago.
A bloke bought a very old pair of pigeons, which were thought to be too old. The hen laid, we put them under Gordon, and we got 2 red cock birds! :D
The deal was one each. I still have both of them here. ;)
I bred some youngsters off them last year. They weren't much good.
I have bred a few rounds off the same pigeons this year, fantastic! I do have serious reservations about breeding from young pigeons.
What makes you doubt young pigeons for breeding Murray?
I don't know. When i say young pigeons i mean very young pigeons. Like only a few months old. The reds are two year olds this year and the youngsters seem much better.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

Murray wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:31 pm
Andy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:49 am
Murray wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:51 am These are Jos Thone' pigeons off pigeons which were the very very best, a decade ago.
A bloke bought a very old pair of pigeons, which were thought to be too old. The hen laid, we put them under Gordon, and we got 2 red cock birds! :D
The deal was one each. I still have both of them here. ;)
I bred some youngsters off them last year. They weren't much good.
I have bred a few rounds off the same pigeons this year, fantastic! I do have serious reservations about breeding from young pigeons.
What makes you doubt young pigeons for breeding Murray?
I don't know. When i say young pigeons i mean very young pigeons. Like only a few months old. The reds are two year olds this year and the youngsters seem much better.
Interesting. I have bred some very good birds out of yearlings. Latebreds are often said to be bred or brought for stock. If the hen that bred me a lot of winners hadn’t bred me 2 in her first nest as a widowhood hen as a yearling I probably would have got rid of her as she was useless at racing. Having said that the sire of my loft back in the 80s and 90s did breed me good youngsters from the start but also bred me a pigeon to top the Cornish combine twice in a fortnight from over the channel when he was 14. I think if a pigeon has the ability to breed good offspring it will right through it’s fertile life. Although as has been said before only a small percentage of offspring from even the best will turn out champions.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

I read Ad Schaerlaeckens' blog this morning, he talks about pedigrees. Have a read.
MIL

Pedigrees are important because they tell you everything you need to know about the historical capabilities of the pigeon you're working with

Yes, we like to see as many big time performers in the pedigree as close up as possible.

The more there are the better the chance of that pigeon going on to become a good pigeon too

When I went to M & D Evans in 1998 I ordered direct from their most principle breeders. I never asked the price.

This was a policy I continued until 2004 before having my Entire Clearance in 2007.

I took direct children out of the likes of "Shadow", "Benetton", "Band of Gold", "Wesrkapelle" etc and I banged em on the road and raced em

I wasn't bothered what I'd paid for them

My mentality was "these are good birds, we know how to keep a pigeon in good order so let's get it on and see where we go"

It was a policy that was really successful
Trev

MIL wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:08 am Pedigrees are important because they tell you everything you need to know about the historical capabilities of the pigeon you're working with

Yes, we like to see as many big time performers in the pedigree as close up as possible.

The more there are the better the chance of that pigeon going on to become a good pigeon too

When I went to M & D Evans in 1998 I ordered direct from their most principle breeders. I never asked the price.

This was a policy I continued until 2004 before having my Entire Clearance in 2007.

I took direct children out of the likes of "Shadow", "Benetton", "Band of Gold", "Wesrkapelle" etc and I banged em on the road and raced em

I wasn't bothered what I'd paid for them

My mentality was "these are good birds, we know how to keep a pigeon in good order so let's get it on and see where we go"

It was a policy that was really successful
Our late friend and Worthing pigeon club member Laurie Everett had much the same approach, he did have a couple of stock birds but generally he would buy in new pigeons on a regular basis but all would have to race. His attitude was if it's got wings it flies, regardless of who or what it was. After he died I did have a few of his birds but sadly lost them trying to break them or in racing, I did have one left, a 2021 Cock, that flew Perth (404miles) last year but the bloody hawk got it before I shut the loft down for winter back in October. I've also got a folder full of pedigrees from a lot of what he brought over the years.
Murray

Gee, I wish I was younger and had better health and still had a loft in a place that I could race to.
Today I had a call from my good mate David in Bendigo.
He said that every time he goes in the loft he sees a youngster that sticks out. He keeps looking at the youngster to check what it is. It's one of mine :)
Now, Davey has 112 youngsters in the loft today. And he isn't given to getting excited about a pigeon. But this one....
It's by a young Heremans cock, which he gave me as an egg. Got a pedigree this long..........He's a half brother to the Billion Dollar Baby. His father is pure Heremans and just leaves winner after winner.
It's mother is by my good old cock, The Diver. He was the first pigeon I ever raced in Australia. 3 races, 3 wins. :D
Pedigrees are great.......if you have something to put on them.
Andy

As I don’t buy pigeons I don’t pay much attention to pedigrees as all I’m interested in is what they do for me. The only real pigeons I’m interested in on a pedigree is the parents, but that’s just my way.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

I use to like pedigree but not bothered now the pigeons with best pedigrees n cost the most was the worst iv ever bought or raced so now I'm not fussed I find ya best pigeons are free of friends

Paper never refused ink
But the race results n race crate tells the truth.
Albert

I only buy from club or Fed sales, and in recent years, there are a lot of birds without pedigrees, and so you are buying on the fanciers name only.
Trev

I'm definitely on the fence with pedigrees as I do like to read them and look at the history of the birds, and I think they definitely serve a purpose when you are starting out or are looking to introduce new stock. This would be the same with any livestock that you are looking to race, show or establish a commercially viable Herd or flock, ie Race horses, Grey hounds, Show or working dogs, cattle or Sheep. Even if for no other reason than to ensure you aren't getting too inbred.
However that doesn't necessarily have to be written down on paper if you know the history of where those animals/birds come from.
A fancy pedigree certainly wouldn't encourage me to part with silly money, as others have said, it's far better to get birds from well established local lofts.
The only thing is with that, someone has to spend the silly money on the latest stars for the rest of us to get them free ;) :D