What would your choice be.

Post your topics on breeding or family of pigeons here.
Trev

MIL wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:02 am
Devo1956 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:11 am So is this a easy question to answer? Champion Cock or Champion Hen. What would you choose?
Just looking at some old topics that I hadn't realised were here until now

Assuming (for arguments sake) that the Champion Cock and the Champion hen were of a similar genetic quality I'd say "cock"

There's only so many eggs in a hen and you could get more from the cock

So that being the case I'd go for the Champion that I could utilise the most
Good to see some of the older topics being revisited and to get some other feedback on them :D Thanks for looking at them Mike.
Andy

That would make a lot of sense Mike.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

Cock.
100% of the time.
Yes the female or 'tail' line is the basis of your family, but once in a million you get a male, be it a stallion, a bull, a greyhound, or for our purposes, a pigeon.
The animal has that rare thing called prepotence. The ability to throw the winning genes into it's progeny. It's offspring have an unusually high proportion of "good ones".
And it can "improve" the progeny of females of lesser ability.
Stumble across a cock like that, boom! You are the next " big new name".
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Devo1956

Really good feedback on this topic, Thank you to all.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

For me a champion hen
Iv had running dogs my whole life when I was younger I thought put the best stud dog in uk on average bitch u get top dogs but all you got was a better average dog,
Now you get a champion bitch you can breed to a dog not as good n 6 out 8 pups be just like there mum.
Every top hen iv retired as bred top birds,
Just 2 examples one hen won me good few races n topped open by Miles first yb ever out of her won fed in its first race,
2nd hen won fed for me to 2 different addresses her first yb won fed in he's 7th race but first 6 races never missed first 10 of fed once, first race to this address her son in he's first race topped fed,
So a champion hen for me first but rather both to pair together.