Does age matter

Post your topics on breeding or family of pigeons here.
Trev

Anthony webster wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:33 pm
Trev wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:26 pm
Anthony webster wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:13 pm

Yes pal I say so, I would only keep special pairs together others wise it would be younger paired to older
I would be the same, I wouldn't get rid of a good old faithful but if I still wanted to breed from it then I would definitely be looking for a younger partner, preferably a son or daughter. I know fanciers who won't keep a stock bird for more than two or three years and to be honest if your breeding is right, by this time you should have produced better birds than him/her anyway.
That's my weakness I'm hard task master very ruthless but if they make retirement here they stay here until they die, it's my weakness but all my old faithful winners are still here I look at them as if I owe it to em for what they done for me racing, two get to 3 or 4yr old here they must be rock solid n must be able to destroy results on cold east winds when most birds quit or just home in race day,
But I do find when I breed of these birds there's a inner confidence I have with there baby's that I know they can take cosh n liberties with.

Nothing wrong with that mate, Im just too soft in gener ;) :lol:
I too believe that some birds have earned the right to a happy retirement, I also know fanciers that once the bird can't race or breed anymore then it's just taking up valuable space and needs moving on, in my book these are pigeon racers rather than pigeon fanciers. I'm definitely a pigeon fancier rather than a pigeon racer.
Each to their own ;) ;)
MIL

My best pigeons started throwing winners as yearlings and only stopped when they died

A good un is a good un - simple as that

Cherish the good and build around them
Murray

MIL wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:46 pm My best pigeons started throwing winners as yearlings and only stopped when they died

A good un is a good un - simple as that

Cherish the good and build around them
That sums it up.
Good one are good ones and always will be.
Greetings from the land down under. :D